Acronis True Image Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acronis True Image Question

Since thre has been no responce from Acronis I taught that Ill ask the question here:
    I always keep an image of my hard drive.
    Just a couple of days ago my C: drive started showing me dying symptoms. So off I went and bought a new drive.
    The old drive had a capacity of 400GB but the new drive had 500GB. After tranfering the image from the 400GB drive on to the 500GB drive, I found that a partition has been created. I tried all I could to join the partition, Partition Magic and the lot bud haven't managed.
    Is there a way that I can produce an image that would not cause a patition on another larger drive ?
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

In principle you don't want to join partitions, what you need to do is expand your 400GB partition in to the free space.
    FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
      In principle you don't want to join partitions, what you need to do is expand your 400GB partition in to the free space.
      That's exactly what I wanted to do. Sorry for my bad terminoloy.

Comment

You need to boot with Acronis disk director, PQ partition magic or Knoppix (GNUParted) and enlarge partition to go over entire 500GB drive.

What I usually did was:
        A) Boot knoppix, use dd_rescue (dying drive): dd_rescue /dev/sdg /dev/sdf (copy from g to f drive), then boot Partition magic and enlarge partition
        B) Using Acronis make it resize partitions during copy
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 28 February 2010, 16:55.

Comment

I've been playing with the freeware Easeus Partition Master and it's pretty good too. Small and clean. 32 bit only though. They also make a drive imager.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Gparted Live is your best friend for this.
            Just expand the partition. Simple as pie. No worries. Almost any file system.

PS. I am a happily paying customer of Acronis Disk Director, have been for years. It's saved my bacon several times.
            But for just expanding a partition. Gparted, the live CD, is the way to go.

PPS Since you already have the image, you have the luxury of experimenting
            Last edited by cjolley; 28 February 2010, 18:09.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Mine has always resized on the fly when the drive was empty. This is with versions 11 and 2010.

Comment

Thank you all for your very usefull advice.

Comment

Working...
                X