Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV reception abroad... options?

Hello,

I'm looking at my options to watch TV in Poland, preferably Belgian TV stations.

The most interesting option would be satellite... But: I have no wall facing the right way and would need to have a dish installed on the roof. The building managers are not too keen on that, so I think they won't allow it - even though the installer I contacted says they have to allow it due to European regulation.

But what are my other options?
    Does the Slingbox thing work well? I could put it at my parents' place and stream over the internet... but I have a 3G HSDPA connection only and my parents connection has an uplink bandwidth of 256 kbits but a montly limit of 5 GB (I could ask them to upgrade, 10 euro/month changes it to 400 kbit uplink and 30 GB volume).

Any suggestions/thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Originally posted by VJ View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking at my options to watch TV in Poland, preferably Belgian TV stations.

The most interesting option would be satellite... But: I have no wall facing the right way and would need to have a dish installed on the roof. The building managers are not too keen on that, so I think they won't allow it - even though the installer I contacted says they have to allow it due to European regulation.

But what are my other options?
    Does the Slingbox thing work well? I could put it at my parents' place and stream over the internet... but I have a 3G HSDPA connection only and my parents connection has an uplink bandwidth of 256 kbits but a montly limit of 5 GB (I could ask them to upgrade, 10 euro/month changes it to 400 kbit uplink and 30 GB volume).

Any suggestions/thoughts/experiences?

Thanks!

Jörg
    with those downlink, uplink and traffic cap restrictions? better start learning Polish

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
      with those downlink, uplink and traffic cap restrictions?
      Yes, I was afraid of that... Sling lists the minimum uplink bandwidth as 256 kbits...
      Guess I'll have to pursue the satellite thing a bit harder...

better start learning Polish
      I'm trying, but "Polski jest trudny".

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

with those downlink, uplink and traffic cap restrictions? better start learning Polish
        The internet provider is making big changes to the subscription limits (they want to prevent a Microsoft lawsuit )... What uplink/downlink speeds would start to be workable?
        How much data transfer should I expect (i.e. per hour)?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Working...
        X