Windows 7 Home Premium and quad cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Home Premium and quad cores

I just finished installing Win7 Home Premium on my Dual dual core Opteron syste, (total four cores) and low and behold task manager only detects two cores only.

Is this a limitation of Windows 7 HP?

This is weird!

Welcome to MS, oh sorry you need to give us more money, tax
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Yeah you need Pro/Enterprise/Ultimate for more than 1 physical processor. You can still run a quad core or hexcore or even octocore when they come out, but just one socket.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I've seen conflicting reports on whether it supports one or two. Try this...

Make sure ACPI is enabled in the BIOS. Multi-processor support does not work without ACPI enabled. Update the BIOS if there is one available.

1. Go to Start menu and type "msconfig"(without quotes) and hit enter.

2. Go to the "Boot" tab and click on "Advanced Options".

3. In the new window please check the "Number of processors" box and choose the number as 2.

4. OK out and restart.

See if any of this helps.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

When I tried the win 7 x64 RC on my dual dual opteron it recognised all cores/sockets however the RC was the "ultimate" version I think.

I decided to stick with xp pro 64 for that rig and built a new quadcore machine for windows 7.

reading on the net it seems you need at least windows 7 pro for 2 sockets, home is 1 socket only. (so you might have to do an online upgrade thingy)

Comment

Thanks guys, I tried everything and Home Premium will only use one CPU.

Even though in device manager all four cores are detected, the OS will not use more than one. I called Microsoft and they told me the same thing, so I got really angry as usual. Today I bought the Windows 7 Professional licence (It's called Windows 7 anytime upgrade) it's meant to upgrade from Home to Prof or Ultimate.

The kicker is... In the Microsoft store, they sell it for $84, in Canada Futureshop or Bestbuy sell it for $149.
            Canadians are always riped off due to the excuse of currency exchange even though the Canadian dollar is almost at par with the US dollar. (Another pet peeve of mine)

Anyway, will install the new key tonight and go from there.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X