ASUS P3B-F Owners Unite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P3B-F Owners Unite!

I'll post this here, rather than an ASUS site, because you kids are much better looking

My P3B-F with bios 1004 does a few wierd things.

<ol>[*]Won't boot with parallel port disabled in bios</li>[*]Won't boot with USB support disabled in bios</li>[*]Won't boot with Advanced Power Management disabled in bios</li>[*]doesn't let me force IRQ 6 (is this hardwired to floppy controller?)</li>[/list=a]
    Any one else have this problem?

------------------
    Home System:
    G400 DH 32MB, PD 5.30, bios 1.5-22, TGL 1.0
    RR-G, VidTools 1.51
    Win98SE, DX 4.07.00
    Celeron 400@500, Asus P3B-F 1.01A, Bios 1004
    256MB PC100, CTX VL710, SBLive Value, liveware 3.0
    Promise Ultra66 w/1xWD136BA + 1xWD205BA

Work System:
    Dual PPro 200 w/256k cache, Intel Providence PR440FX w/onboard UW SCSI, bios # 1.00.08
    128MB 60ns buffered asyncronous ECC DRAM
    9.1GB IBM Ultrastar 18ES UW SCSI
    Number Nine Imagine 128 Series II, 4MEG
    Hitachi SuperScan Elite 17
    WinNT 4.0 SP6

System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

i can boot with all that disabled...
    i haven't tried the irq thing..

Comment

No problems here.

Comment

No problems here here either. Maybe something else? have you tried resetting to defaults and then disabling them? maybe ya moved something else around there?

------------------
        Asus P3B-F, P3-450~600, 256MB PC133 8ns SDRAM, G400MAX (yay!) at 160Mhz, Teac 58S CD-R, Toshiba SM-1002 DVD-ROM, Toshiba 40X SCSI CD-ROM, 8.4GB IDE primary drive, 9GB Micropolis Tomahawk UWSCSI, 9GB IBM U2WSCSI, 18GB U2WSCSI Cheetah, Diamond MX300, 3COM 10/100TX, 3COM Gaming Modem, Adaptec 2940U2W

And a partridge in a pear treeeeeeee.
        A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

No problems with disabling the stuff and booting, but I do wish that IRQ 6 was available for something else as I have an LS 120 and do not need the floppy IRQ for it. Had an AOpen board that made it available.
          Try the latest Beta .005 Bios from the German site to see if it helps you.

Comment

Interesting folks.

I too have an LS120, and find if frustrating that 6 sits there twidling its thumbs.

Also, I have a USB mouse, and using IRQ 12 has had mixed results. My system overall is much more stable if I let the P&P bios assign the IRQ's as it sees fit, rather than force them. As such, I'm out of IRQ's, and I had to disable the one serial port to get everything in.

I thought about a USB keyboard, but I don't think you'll ever be able to use 1 anyway, so maybe it's not worth it.
            System: P4 2.4, 512k 533FSB, Giga-Byte GA-8PE667 Ultra, 1024MB Corsair XMS PC333, Maxtor D740x 60GB, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, PCPower&Cooling Silencer 400.

Capture Drives (for now): IBM 36LZX 9.1, Quantum Atlas 10KII 9.1 on Adaptec 29160

Comment

No troubles here. I boot with APM, Parallel, both serial and USB support disabled and have no troubles.

IRQ 6 is for the floppy.

The only IRQ I force is my Highpoint UDMA 66 controller to IRQ 14, since my onboard primary IDE is disabled.

Jammrock

------------------
              PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Geeze Gurm,
                you sound a little upset...

Comment

Gurm,

You mean that we can use IRQ13 for whatever ?

Pertti
                  (Running to the store to get one more card into the box )

Comment

Gurm, Gurm, Gurm...

Obviously you don't read inbetween the lines much. Since I am using IRQ 14 for my Highpoint UDMA 66 card I am well aware that I can use my 'standard assigned' IRQ's elsewhere if I want. I merely stated that the 'standard assigned' IRQ for a floppy drive is 6, just like 3 and 4 are supposed to be for the COM ports and 13 is used for the math coprocessor, 9 cascades to 2, 7 is LPT1, etc.

Jammrock

------------------
                    PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Comment

You are pretty much right, Gurm. Most of the IRQ's in the system are free, BUT certain device have 'standarized' IRQ's like we both said. They can be modified if you really want to, but if you use one of the devices, normally you assign it to the standardized location:

0 - System Timer (not changable)
                      1 - Keyboard controller (not changable)
                      2 - Cascade input for secondary IRQ controller (not changable)
                      3 - COM2/4 if present/enabled, free if not.
                      4 - COM1/3 if present/enabled, free if not.
                      5 - LPT2, more commonly used for Sound card now, free if used by neither
                      6 - Floppy drive controller (could be freed in future non-legacy computers, currently non-changable)
                      7 - LPT1, free if unused
                      8 - Real Time Clock (not changable)
                      9 - Free - Cascaded to 2
                      10 - Free
                      11 - Free
                      12 - PS/2 mouse, free if a USB, serial or no mouse is present.
                      13 - Math Co-processor (not changable)
                      14 - Primary IDE controller, free if none present
                      15 - Secondary IDE controller, free if none present

NMI - Non-maskable Interupt, detects parity errors in memory, unlisted, non-changable.

NOTE: These are the STANDARD IRQ assignments. Meaning if the device is present it should, by standard, be on the coresponding IRQ. Whether you follow the standards or not are up to you.

Jammrock

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 09 February 2000).]

Comment

This has diverted from my original post a little, but I've found it very informative .

Comment

It's always fun to watch techs go at it. Gurm, Greebe and I do it the most

Jammrock

------------------
                          Athlon 650, Biostar motherboard, 128 MB RAM, 27GB & 9 GB WD Expert HDD's, Plextor 8/4/32 CD-RW, CL 6x DVD, G400 32 MB DH, SB Live!, LinkSYS LNE 10/100 NIC, DigiCom 56k modem, modified Addtronics case.

Comment

Working...
                          X