Just what Detroit's schools needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what Detroit's schools needed

Over-staffed, ineffective, cash broke and with a budget process from Hell the state reached out to Robert Bobb as an emergency financial manager when the district went into state receivership. Bobb's a DC consultant who has turned around other entities, and did they ever get a doozie. From the Detroit Free Press.

Very purposeful looking. We could use a few of his clones at other levels of government...

Robert Bobb's biggest challenge: Create a new Detroit Public Schools

Now he's working nonstop; 'failure is not an option' for DPS

He is constantly in the public eye as the emergency financial manager of Detroit Public Schools, but few people really know much about Robert Bobb.
    >
    He is an introvert, but friends say he has learned how to be comfortable holding a microphone and speaking to large groups.

He seems intense and serious, but he is surprisingly funny.

At times, he is walled off from the public behind a security detail. But he goes out of his way to talk to kids, poses for pictures and returns just about every e-mail.

Many people view him as a savior. Others say he is a villain.

But no one can argue that this complicated, decisive man is making changes that affect every child in Detroit.
    >
    In 2005, when Bobb was the city administrator of Washington, D.C., the headline of a newspaper profile said: "The Robert Bobb Management Method: speak softly and carry plenty of pink slips."

He's used the same technique in Detroit.

Bobb has, in essence, fired 685 administrators by not renewing their contracts. He has closed 29 schools, plans to close 40 more this year and lowered operating costs by more than $115.2 million, according to Angela Joyner, the deputy chief financial officer for management and budget. And the work is not done yet -- more layoffs and cuts are coming.

"If you walk around with your feelings on your sleeves, I'm not the guy to work for," Bobb said. "I'm not here to love you. I'm not here to hate you. I'm here to make sure you get your job done. We don't have to be friends. We don't have to go out for a drink. All I care about, are you going to be productive? I'll back you. I'll fall on the sword for those doing well. But I've fired my very best friend."
    >
    The face of change

Bobb's office on the 14th floor of the Fisher Building is small and sparsely decorated. A framed photograph of the Detroit skyline sits on the floor, propped against the wall. He hasn't had time to put it up. A quote from abolitionist Frederick Douglass is handwritten in marker on a white board. Bobb repeats it often in speeches: "Once you learn to read, you will forever be free."
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 February 2010, 08:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Create a new Detroit Public Schools

Maybe he also needs a grammar lesson!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Or the story was poorly proofread.

He is trying to create a new district from the ashes of the old one. Bottom line is that he's making tough choices and holding people accountable. The necessary first step.

He and Detroit's new mayor, Dave Bing, are similar types and have been working well together. The legislature is looking at turning the district over to the Mayor's office long term, and Bing's been talking that if that happens he wants Bobb to stay on & continue the task.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post

My guess:
        Detroit Public Schools is singular.
        It's the name of an organization.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

i'm with cjolley
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post

"Detroit Public Schools" probably equals several hundred Elementary, Middle and High Schools.
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
            X