G400 Max and AGP 4x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Max and AGP 4x

I've recently buy a Asus P3C2000 mainboard with the I820 Camino chipset ....
    The mainboard is great but the G400 is a **** !
    That appears G400 doesn't support AGP 4x.
    Please can you help me if there is a Registry Hacks for enable Agp 4x or I must buy a new Video Card with the 4A checked in the retail boxed !!!!
    Cheers

As I know, not the all Matrox G400 supports the AGP 4x mode. But I think there is no need for that yet. Search the forum for more information.

------------------
    NauTiLUS master of .ASP programming )

My system looks like:
    ABIT Bh6 MOBO
    Intel PIII500@560 MHz
    128 MB Kingston PC133 SDRAM
    Matrox G400SH 32MB
    Adaptec 2940 SCSI HBA
    Creative SB Live! with 5 Creative speakers
    2*4.3GB ATAPI HDD
    1*2GB SCSI-2 HDD
    HP 4/8 GB DAT SCSI-2
    Windows 98 Lite
    Windows NT 4.0 Server SP4
    NauTiLUS master of .ASP programming )

My system looks like:
    ABIT Bh6 MOBO
    Intel PIII500@560 MHz
    128 MB Kingston PC133 SDRAM
    Matrox G400SH 32MB
    Creative SB Live! with 5 Creative speakers
    2*4.3GB ATAPI HDD
    Windows 98 Lite

Comment

If youd bother to sue the forum search button you'd see there have been discussions about this before, adn basically, G400 wont USE AGP4x. Only the newer cards are bus compatible with it. And as stated before, dont matter. Nothing needs AGP 2X, elt alone 4X now.
      A computer is like sex. Your never 100% sure what your doing but when all goes well, it feels REAL good.

Comment

Yes you need 4A part now go away before Gurm gets here
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Where people like this come from?

Let me see if I can put this in an educated way...

No you are wrong. The G400 is great but the motherboard is a ****. You need RAMBUS or something similar in order for AGP 4x work properly, you dumb. PC100 (that your mobo suports via the ridiculous Intel memory hub decelerator) doesn´t have enough bandwidth to suport AGP 4x.

Gee, another "must have the latest" case. At least do some research before posting such a nonsense.

Yeah, go ahead, get a 4x board.

Comment

In responde to Nuno :
            What are you say ????
            Before I have a Abith BH6 and now I have a Asus with 128mb PC133 and I can overclock the PIII 450 to 785 without any problem !
            I have test too a Abith BP6II and the G400 don't run with all program !!!!!
            In conclusion I think the Asus P3C2000 is a great Motherboard with the I820 chipset.
            So Saturday I buy a new G400 Max with the 4A in the boxed ,and all is functional very well (Urban Chaos and Supreme Snowboarding come out to desktop but I think is a driver problem ...this game use DX7).
            The nosense has you
            Bye

Comment

Holly Shit DuDe, How much ****en cash do you have?! I wish i could buy a new card just to beable to use AGP4x...... Yikes!

Comment

The issue Nuno cites has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to run your processor at high bus speeds. Inbetween your CPU and your RAM sits the MTH chip Nuno mentioned. It allows you to use SDRAM instead of RAMBUS, but there is a price to be paid. It does *not* have PC133 support, so even though you're using PC133 RAM, it is running at 100 MHz. Just look:
                http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/Moth...000/index.html

Because data to and from your RAM must be translated to something it and the chipset can understand, performance degrades substantially. This is all very well documented, and it is why Intel is working so hard to get the Solano II chipset to market.

Intel really screwed up, and the whole Camino/Rambus situation has been a major embarrassment for them. Asus is trying it's best to make good a very bad situation. It's looks like a very nice board, but there are serious, inherent problems with the chipset.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

I don't have much money but I sell the old G400 MAX at a very high cost .....!!!!!
                  The Rambus memory it's very expensive cost and I don't think to try it.
                  The Solano II is a very important solution for the Camino chipset ,but I'm very happy to have now the Agp 4X the Solano comes in the future .....

Comment

G400 Max:

I thought that what I said was clear enough, but I´ll try to say it again:

1 - Do you really understand what AGP is? I don´t think so. A true AGP card has the ability to use the system ram as an extention to the onboard video ram. The downside: The system RAM is much slower than the video ram. The system ram is only used when the video card runs out of memory.

2 - Even AGP2x isn´t used to its full potential much less AGP4x. Even if you were taking full advantage of AGP4x you wouldn´t notice a diference from AGP1x in all of the current games. Only syntetical benchmarks could show a diference.

3 - Your motherboard can´t use AGP4x to its full potential. THAT´S THE POINT I AM TRYING TO MAKE! Your motherboard uses pc100 SDRAM that has roughly a bandwidth of ~800Mb/second. AGP4x requires around 1Gb memory bandwidht. GOT IT NOW? Even if you overclock the memory bus to 133+ Mhz it still couldn´t make it for the bandwidth requirements of AGP4x and all the other system resourses. Sorry man, you got carried away by Intel´s hype. To AGP4x you would need rambus, DDR sdram or other high bandwidth memory type.

4 - That´s why I was being a little harsh on you. You are whinning because your G400 can´t do AGP4x and you aren´t understanding that you CAN´T take full advantage of AGP4x in that motherboard.

5 - So let´s suppose AGP4x would do a major difference from AGP2x nowadays. If you would get a G400 AGP4x you still couldn´t tell a major diference from AGP4x because the bottleneck would be in the system memory bandwidth now.

6 - If you can´t understand my whole point now, I rest my case and good luck with your G400 4x

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 08 February 2000).]

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that these people are all Bogus posters? They can't be real, Somone is pulling our leg, Right?

"In conclusion I think the Asus P3C2000 is a great Motherboard with the I820 chipset."

How does it feel to be alone in your opinions?

Comment

Great LAMFDTK you're the best !!!

Comment

MatroxG400MAX, you just have gained the super duper troll status around here. So I think you should take a look here: http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/

Have fun.

Comment

NUNO if you are really a Medic this is a very interesting response of your category ....
                            AH ah Ah you're very fun ....
                            But don't tell to **** other ...think to **** you
                            Best FUNNY !!!!!!

This is only a Forum ....
                            The G400 is only a Video Adapter!!!!
                            Bye Comunista !!!!

Comment

MORON
                              System 1:
                              AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                              Epox 8K7A
                              2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                              an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                              SBLIVE 5.1
                              Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                              Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                              3Com Hardware Modem
                              Teac 20/10/40 burner
                              Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Working...
                              X