Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU or Mobo broken, not sure which

Friends computer is broken.
    Gets power, fans spin, but no post, doesn't boot, can't get to BIOS or anything. Blank screen.
    I've narrowed it down to his cpu or mobo. Athlon X2 6000+ and ASUS M2N32-SLI. I've tested every other component - they all work fine. I don't have any AMD stuff to test his cpu or mobo with, so I'm not sure which of the two is causing the problem.
    I don't appear to be getting any power to the keyboard either.

And yes, I've tried clearing the CMOS (including removing the battery). Nada.

Exhibits same behavior with or without the cpu (fans and lights still turn on, video card fan gets power, etc.)
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Are you sure about the power supply, meaning testing ALL the 5 volt and 12 volt lines and grounds on the MB connector? I have a power supply tester for the purpose and it's shown that a basic volt test on a couple leads isn't enough more than once. IMO it's more likely to die than the MB or CPU.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

anything smell of burnt rubber ? - check for a dead cap. You can likely find a cheap power supply to hook up temporarily to get a post and to the bios. You really need a load tester to verify the power supply.

Comment

The PSU is fine. I tested it in another computer, as well as using my Corsair PSU with my friends computer. Same result.
        By visual inspection I could not locate any dead or blown caps on the motherboard.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Sometimes the only sign a cap is blown is that the top bulges a bit, without all the smoke, torn metal, tar etc.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

No power to the Keyboard would point me to the mobo.

When my memory died, I had fans and lights but no bot scren or anything.
            I did have the keyboard lights come on tho....

If this has been overclocked, or used in a high temp environment (silent pc style), then i would look at the power stages, small chips around the CPU socket.
            Try looking under the heatsinks if possible....
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Couldn't find any cap buldges, I guess the next thing is to check under the heatsinks on the mobo.

Comment

If the power supply fan starts, then turns off after 5-10 seconds then the mobo is definitely bad. There is a light green cable (usually) on the mobo power called the power good. If there are any mobo issues the power good will return bad and the PSU fan will turn off.

Even if the PSU fan stays on I would vote for the mobo personally. The BIOS is just smart enough to throw a bad CPU code even if the CPU is borked. If it was just the CPU you should still get at least a beep code.

A guide to what the different beep codes mean when the POST test fails. Includes a list of beep codes for systems using AMI, Phoenix & Award BIOS hardware.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                X