Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSOD's with Athlon and MSI 6167, help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD's with Athlon and MSI 6167, help please!

Well, I have been fighting with it for days and after countless re-installs of Win98SE I am about ready to ditch this computer.

BSOD's pop up randomly no matter what app's I run even the native app's with Win98SE installation (ie, IE, Explorer, file copying between drives..etc.). I have tried reinstalling all the AMD's patches and MSI's bios, changing ram chips to differnt sockets, problem still exists.

Here are some of the errors:

"An exception 0E has occured at 0028:C000ABD9 in VxD VMM(01) + 00009BD9. This was called from 0028:C0051430 in VxD VPICD(01) + 000008F0. It maybe possible to continue normally.

press ctrl......"

"A fatal exception 0E has occured at 0028:C0014E88. The current application will be terminated."

From the error messages, I can guess they probably have to do with memmory cache, page call, video memory cache or something. So I played with the virtual memory setting and that didn't help. What settings do you MSI6167 owners have for your bios? I have flashed my bios to 1.5. Reloading Optimised Setting gives me different settings every time.

Here are what I have updated beyond the basic Win98SE installation:

[*]Direct 7.0a[*]Virtual Machine[*]Media Player 6.4

Drivers Installed:

[*]AMD PCI Bus Mastering patch (latest on the website)[*]AMD miniport AGP driver 4.45[*]Promise FastTrack66 Driver 1.23[*]S.B. Live 3.0 driver only[*]G400 PD5.41 + reghack forceAGP 2X

Programs Installed:

[*]Matrox DVD Player[*]HP Direct CD[*]Quake III Arena

Computer setup:

[*]Athlon 650mhz (week26..I know..bummer!)[*]MSI 6167 Slot A motherboard[*]Sound Blaster Live Value[*]192mb PC-100 ram[*]8gb Maxtor hd[*]IDE Raid Array 1: Maxtor 7200rpm 27gb X 2[*]IDe Raid Array 2: Maxtor 7200rpm 27gb X 2[*]LG 8X DVD drive[*]HP 810i CD Writer[*]Syquest Sparq Drive

I would appreciate any help...

I've got an Athlon 650 on an MSI 6167.
    I had a similar problem a while back and it was actually related to the CD-Writer.
    I think you need to go boot safe mode and selectively remove (and backup) files that have the extension VXD.
    If you have Nero burning, the VXD you need to remove is NERO95CD.VXD (it works fine without).

Comment

Actually guys I helped him to resolve those problems last night... a 128 meg stick of 10ns PC100 sdram module was causing the problem.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Yep, Thanks Greebe!

I had a stick of 64mb pc-100(8ns) and a stick of 128mb pc-100(10ns) and they caused quite a hassel. Took out the 10ns stick and the computer worked like a champ! I did a mutiple transfers of files from both cd drives to all the raid drives and they just humm alone. Now I added two more sticks of 64mb pc-100 (8ns) to make the total of 192mb system ram.

Greebe is the man! He stayed on ICQ with me for a hour and a half last night and solved my problem or else I really would've use the computer for target practice... Greebe will be the guy I go to for taking my Athlon to higher level.. Thanks again..

Comment

Working...
        X