Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• london travel suggestions?

hi everyone,

I was told a few days ago that I have to go to Cambridge for a day next week, and will meet up with the gf for the weekend in London, to relax. any suggestions for a nice/well connected area with not-too expensive b&bs/hotels/hostels?

is there any budget-friendly way to get theater tickets and the likes? here in Vienna it is possible to get remaining tickets one hour before the opening for a nominal fee, anything like that?

... and how reliable is the national express coach?

would appreciate any help,
    wulfman
    "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
    "Lobsters?"
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

London != cheap

It's beena while since I lived/worked near London, so hopefully someone more up to date will post too, but here's by 2p for starters.

Travelodge is a value-chain of motels worth looking at. Much cheaper out of the centre, but remember that the tube network closes before the clubs do! There's a network of Night Busses that can take you home after that.

National Express are ok I think.

There is a ticket booth in Leicester Square that sells late-deal tickets. It's not too far from the theatres.
    FT.

Comment

If you're into politics, definitely go see Houses of Parliament, otherwise don't.

For relaxing with Girlfriend, check the area around Covent Garden - people drinking wine, musicians playing strings, see also bars around Leicester square (We got drunk with Gnep there ), there's a kiosk there where you can buy theatre tickets.

If you're into galeries don't miss Tate. All museums are free, recommend British museum particularly.

For hostel booking go to Hostelworld.com. I booked hostel and hotel in Vienna on that site and the reviews of places I stayed (Meininger, Wombat's) on site were close to reality. For tube there are areas which are covered by ticket - closer to center, lesser the cost. Recommend staying close to center, though I have no area to recommend. Around London the express trains going from airports to center (Gatwick and Standsted Express) are reliable and run every 15 minutes or so.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 19 January 2010, 10:22.

Comment

Defo do the London Eye.
        FT.

Comment

found us a (hopefully) nice place somewhere in the north, will check the other stuff out.

thanks so far,
          wulfman
          "Lobsters?"

Comment

had a nice trip, will probably move to Cambridge at some point this year.

recommendation: got best-available stand-by tickets for 15$ (student) at the royal Shakespeare theater company, forth row and nice view.

mfg
            wulfman
            "Lobsters?"

Comment

glad you enjoyed the trip. what else did you do/see?
              FT.

Comment

Oxford, Cambridge, too many interviewers, and all in all the basic stuff in London - Tower, Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Tate modern, Barbican center... all in all mostly walking around.

thanks for the suggestions!

cheers,
                wulfman
                "Lobsters?"

Comment

So we should really be saying congrats on getting in to Cambridge?
                  FT.

Comment

only half the story, but yeah.

mfg
                    wulfman
                    "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
                    X