112 (911 in USA) great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 112 (911 in USA) great!

I was in NCA General hospital, on a strict 6 h regime of pain killers,day and night. These are effective for about 4 h and the pain becomes literally excruciating and paralysing.

One night I woke up in mild pain at 0245 and due for new pills at 0330. By 0315 i was in thw agony phase, so I tried to call the nurse using their very sophisticated call system. Nothing happened. Tried umpteen times; decided system was on the blink. I thought about yelling (must have woken half the hospital, but my room was at the end of long corridor a good distance from the Nurses' Station and my cries went unheard, despite a stentorian voice. Tried to get of bed, but far too painful by this time.

What to do? I was at risk of serious consequences and it was already nearly 45 minutes after pill time. I then thought about phoning the hospital, but I didn't have a number that answered.

Brainwave! I dialled 112. Immediate response (in Greek) I explained in English my predicament (in English). The cop passed me to a colleague who spoke good English then to another one (presumably in the hospital). He asked name, ward, room number after another full explanation. He said he would help. I said Thank you and before I could press the button to cut the communication (about 3 min, I'd guess), the nurse was in my room with my pills. She tried the communication system which was truly on the blink. I managed to get back to sleep an hour late after a period of agony.

THANK YOU, 112 - GREAT SERVICE FOR PROBABLY AN UNUSUAL PROBLEM!!!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Sorry to hear about your problem...
    But nice to know 112 is really good!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I hope you are feeling better Brian.

Here's an experiment for you.
      Last Christmas Eve we had bad weather forecast so I went to work early.
      I turned out the forecast was so bad that they had closed the building for the day. Rightfully so as it turned out

Anyway, ChooChoo did not have school so she and Becky slept in and I did not phone ahead when I returned 20 minutes after I left.
      Well, Becky was awake in bed and heard the door open and pressed 911 on the phone, but did not press "call", while she yelled down to see if it was me.
      She turned off the phone when she verified there was no danger.
      A few minutes later 911 called us!
      Turns out our cordless phone calls 911 once you've entered the number, whether you finalize the process or not.
      I think it's a nice feature, but it did take us by surprise.
      Last edited by cjolley; 15 January 2010, 07:14.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Glad to have you back Bri. Was starting to wonder. All straight now?
        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
          Glad to have you back Bri. Was starting to wonder. All straight now?
          Having spent time in the hospital, I can't imagine he's very gay now...
          (sorry, I just couldn't resist it)

Hope all is well, Brian!
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

So it's a disease that can be cured after all?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              Having spent time in the hospital, I can't imagine he's very gay now...
              (sorry, I just couldn't resist it)

Hope all is well, Brian!
              Yes...glad to hear Brian's still sucking air, but trust me he's not likely able to "enjoy" his meds. Most likely all they're doing is making things tolerable.

Stick in there Brian. Keep us informed.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X