Whats the problem with Abit BE6-II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the problem with Abit BE6-II?

Everyone keeps saying get the original BE6 if you are going to buy one, despite the fact that I read a review that says II improves on the first in many ways. So whats the deal?

Thx

K

I don´t now why ! Mine is working fine ! But the abit be-II needs the newest bios to work correctly ! www.abit-usa.com

Comment

Inferior build quality is one reason. I've seen several with loose (i.e one connecting pin missing) BX chipset heatsink, snapped off DIMM slot retaining handles...etc.

Comment

Hmmmm..

Reason #1 - Old Config - BE6 - PC133HSDRAM (4.6ns), 133FSB, CAS2, PIII-450@600

- New Config - BE6-II - PC133HSDRAM (4.6ns), 133FSB, CAS(2,3), PIII-450@600 - Won't even post... Tried all possible combinations that I could think of, nothing, nada, zilch, zero - GARBAGE...

Latest BIOS is in use.

Guyver

Replacement BE6 on it's way...
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
        - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
        - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950
        - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I used to swear by my Abit BX6 in the old days, but now that it has gone bad for no aparent reason and fried my poor celeron and a friend´s PIII 550 (ouch) I don´t really know anymore what to say...

Comment

Nuno !! Maybe Abit has integraded some sort of self destruction device to ensure better sales ... When it is my boards turn ?? How old was yours ... I'm sorry for your and your friends CPUs.

J.
            -J-

Comment

Hey Unclejoe, if they really integrated that kind of device, they went out of luck, because I went Gigabyte

My mobo was an Abit Bx6 rev1. I bought it in September 1998 and it was happily running a celery 300 at 450 since then. On sad sad day I was running windows and pufff... the big screen (actually not that big, 17´´) went black and the little green led went yellow - oh my, windows 98 did it again - but no! It never boot anymore. At first I though my poor celey has died after more that one year of loyal service, but no, it was the mobo who has shorted somehow and fried the cpu. Unfortunatly I only managed to get it when it also fried a shiny new retail PIII, who hopefully was still under Intel´s 3 year warranty

Athlon 500 and Gigabyte GA-7IX since then, and more than pleased (next week maybe a good deal will bring me an Athlon 600 )

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 07 February 2000).]

Comment

Working...
              X