Left 4 Dead 2's driving me NUTS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left 4 Dead 2's driving me NUTS!!

Got L4D2 PC version for our son for XMAS and it's been nothing but trouble and frustration. If it weren't software we'd return it

Core2Duo E7400 2.8 ghz
    2 gig RAM
    ATI Radeon 4350 HD 1 gig PCIe with latest drivers
    300g HDD 15% full
    Windows managing swapfile automatically
    XP (virus and adware scanned)

Partway though gameplay it seizes up (the video drivers crash); the desktop goes to minimal colors and soon the system restarts. >20 instances just yesterday.

If any one has an idea I'm open to it, though we've already tried most of what's on the 'net; disabling vsynch etc. Even turned off artificial intelligence in the ATI Catalyst control panel.

Windows reports that the ati2dvag driver has crashed before it resets. The Event Log follows.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: ACEEventLogSource
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 1/8/2010
    Time: 8:51:38 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: [redacted]
    Description:
    0000000010: 2010-01-08 20:51:38:046 FAILED:ADL_Display_PossibleMode_Get with status : -3 For Adapter Index :0
    Error Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.DisplaysOptions.Graphics.Runtim e.RT_DisplaysOptions::GetADLAllPossibleModes processID:00916 threadID: ( ) domainName: (ccc.exe ) assemblyName: (CLI.Aspect.DisplaysOptions.Graphics.Runtime, Version=2.0.3615.38646, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 January 2010, 11:57.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Hi Doc, check the following...

1-heat, make sure the fan on the video card is running. Sometimes they seize up. Is the video card overclocked? Could be the issue as well

2-did you update the drivers for your video card?

3-though the video drivers crashed I would also check the audio drivers as well

4-try running the game in lower resolution to see if that helps

5-perhaps you can change the video card PCIe slot

6-maybe AMD has fixes for that specific game, try the makers of L4D and see if they have something to fix random crashes.

Hope this helps

Comment

1- passively cooled and new. No O/C.

2- latest, as stated

3- new audio card & latest drivers & also tested with embedded audio; no difference

4- tried and failed already

5- already tried that

6- checked and no

also refreshed all the M/B drivers and updated the BIOS

that said I checked the Steam/ATI etc. forums and it appears it's a known issue with the game itself, but with no resolution yet
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Passively cooled cards are for well ventilated cases.
        If it only seizes up while gaming, it heat.
        Put a 80mm fan directly on the passive heatsink, and up the rear case fan to evacuate heat more.

If it doesn't crash, there you are.
        Passive cards generate huge amounts of heat, and that has to be pulled from the case.
        generally you can put a low power fan to one, which doesn't increase the noise over the other fans, and the heatsink will work much better.

edit : Left for dead 2 isnt a hugely demanding game. It should play on almost any system. That being, a 4350 isn't a real gaming card, unless you're at 1280x1024 max....

edit2 : In fact it s 64-bit bus for memory, and only 80 shader cores, 16 clusters. Its a little bit faster than an integrated chip. probably 2x, except even integrated can get a 128bit memory bus...
        The fact it has 1Gb of memory is meaningless. Its DDR2 memory, which is very very slow.
        This shouldn't even be getting hot.
        If its new, take it back and get a refund.
        Look for any card with at least a 128bit bus for memory. and either GDDR3 or GDDR5.

Sorry to be a bit blunt, but gaming is not really possible on such a card. My friend who is very knowledgeable in servers and Windows server, bought a complete lemon as a graphics card a few years back, and still hasn't quite recuperated from the humiliation ...

edit3: My point being, such a card 4350, is usually bought for people who need another screen, not for gaming.
        The driver team will not view such a card as important in the gaming world. if is displays windows fine, leave it at that.
        Last edited by Evildead666; 10 January 2010, 06:50.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Doc,
            If that turns out to be the problem try an HD4670
            At $70 great performance for the money.
            I got a Sapphre brand 512 meg GDDR3 card for Christmas and I'm pretty impressed.

Does have a fan though...

Chuck
            Last edited by cjolley; 10 January 2010, 07:39.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

How does the card work when running a basic 3D test, say 3DMark06? Does it even run the demo? What other games, if any does he also run? I presume they all work.
              Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
              MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
              Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
              Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

You should use Matrox card, then it will not crash at all.
                A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

Working...
                X