• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The interesting case of General Tso's Chicken

Interesting read....

Link....

The curious history of General Tso's chicken

A saga of war, rebirth, jealousy and Henry Kissinger

Here's the first thing you should know: The general had nothing to do with his chicken. You can banish any stories of him stir-frying over the flames of the cities he burned, or heartbreaking tales of a last supper, prepared with blind courage, under attack from overwhelming hordes. Unlike the amoeba-like mythologies that follow so many traditional dishes, the story of General Tso's chicken is compellingly simple. One man, Peng Chang-kuei -- very old but still alive -- invented it.

But what's "it"? Because while chef Peng is universally credited with inventing a dish called General Tso's chicken, he probably wouldn't recognize the crisp, sweet, red nuggets you get with pork fried rice for $4.95 with a choice of soda or soup. All that happened under his nose. It all got away from him.
    >
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I had just printed that article to read to Becky.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

General Tso's is my favorite. We have a local Chinese spot that makes an awesome version of it. Nothing like Golden Leaf in KC though, which is just incredible.

Very interesting article. I've known a few people who have immigrated from Taiwan/China and they agree that the stuff you get here in the US is nothing like the real stuff in China. With some rare occassions in areas that are primarily Chinese or up-scale.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Speaking of chicken....tonight's dinner was pecan encrusted chicken breasts, corn bread and fried rice.

thicken maple syrup with corn starch 'til it's pasty, dredge chicken breasts in the mix then dredge in chopped pecans. Grill until done. A virtual leftover free meal. Add other seasonings to taste; cinnamon, fresh ginger etc.

not ours, no leftovers to shoot, but identical
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 January 2010, 15:53.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X