New Thinkpads anounced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Thinkpads anounced

Since a lot of you here have Thinkpads, Lenovo today anounced T410, T510, W510, X100e and Edge.

More on lenovoblogs.

The bad:
    Red thinkpads border on blasphemy. The 15" get 16:9 screens. The X100e and EDGE get 6 rows keyboard with certain keys removed. All new T series come with Ultrabay Enhanced instead of Ultrabay Slim and there will be new docks.

The good:
    Otherwise, the W510 has built-in calibrator, there are new always-on USB ports for charging mobile devices, the 6-cell batteries no longer stick out, all displays are LED now.

I really don't like the direction that laptops displays took with crappier and crappier TN screens and shorter and shorter aspect ratios (16:12, 16:10, 16:9).

Yeah, I hate that 16:9 taking over.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
      Yeah, I hate that 16:9 taking over.

Depends on how much weight you are willing to lug around. The 17" 1900x1200 RBGLED baklit widescreen displays are nice. Just heavy.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Uhm, 1900x1200 that much heavier than 1900x1080 then?
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The T510 and W510 have switched to 16:9 aspect ratio displays. Though 4:3 is not coming back, there are a lot of people (myself included) that did not want to switch aspect ratios yet again on the 14” form factor. Enough other vendors in the industry voiced this same opinion that the industry was able to convince glass manufacturers to continue making 14.1” 16:10 glass – this year at least. Thus, the T410 and T410s feature 16:10 displays just like their predecessor models. All displays are LED backlit. (Good riddance to florescent backlighting.

mfg
          wulfman

PS.: and looking forward towards seeing the new "netbook/tablet" prototype in real life...
          "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
          "Lobsters?"
          "Really? I didn't know they did that."
          "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

just for completeness:

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Uhm, 1900x1200 that much heavier than 1900x1080 then?

Yes, because you can get a smaller 1080p display, but almost all the 1900x1200 displays are 17". Don't know why, just the way it is.

Comment

Ah, ok. My gripe is that more and more '17"' displays are 1900x1080... And yeah, those 120 pixels (x1900!!) mean a lot to me.

Comment

Thinkpad T61p, Z60p, W500, Latitude D830, HP W8510w, 8530w are some 15" WUXGA examples. 17" MacBook Pro is not really as big as other 17" notebooks, so you could count it together with other reasonably sized 1920x1200 notebooks. Personally I'll stock up on UXGA IPS T60ps and wait for OLEDs.

Comment

Ah, ok. My gripe is that more and more '17"' displays are 1900x1080... And yeah, those 120 pixels (x1900!!) mean a lot to me.

I never missed those 120 pixels until I started coding, so I completely agree.

Comment

Working...
                    X