Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVGA dual-socket LGA-1366 m/b

Dual Quad cores? The mind boggles

Keeping PC enthusiasts on their toes, EVGA has provided a peek at a new motherboard which it will present next week at CES 2010. As you can see below, EVGA has made a dual socket LGA 1366 board, one that's said to have all the bells and whistles of a Classified series product (overclocking feature galore) so to please extreme users.

Digital power seems to be in, you have six memory slots per socket, and most likely enough PCI-Express slots for SLI (3-way/Quad SLI) and CrossFireX setups. No comment on price tag, let's just wait for CES and see the whole picture.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

why not dual hex cores?

.. now show me something useful to do with all these cores, besides bragging rights
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

3D and video rendering, physics, maths, engineering, architecture etc. etc. I'd probably use them in our rendering farm (12 systems and counting)
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

From what I've read today, there will only be 32nm cores without GPU's as Xeons.
        Or Maybe the Extreme(ly) expensive editions.

They apparently overclock a lot better than the 45nm parts.

This will be for new Alienware systems and such I suspect....

edit : Hex core = 24 Threads !!!! or 16 with just quads...
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Piccy if the whole board.

A BIG beast.

writeup here at SemiAccurate.

EVGA HAS MANAGED to gain a fair bit of fame for its unusual and often quite good motherboards, but its latest creation that was sneak previewed on Twitter a couple of days ago is a monster of a mot…

edit : added piccy
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Looks like the CPU's will talk to each other directly, and that the NB is only possibly connected to one CPU.....adds an extra 'hop' for one CPU to access certain things....

Could be a server chipset, but then you would need two QPI links per chip, therefore a Xeon DP chip. (One to NB and the other to the other CPU)

Would be the sort of machine 7 water cooled 295's would look good and have a folding machine that would kill everything else.

edit : Or the sort of thing you imagine could be in a Very High end Apple Workstation....(Alienware probably tho)
            Last edited by Evildead666; 4 January 2010, 13:41.

Comment

The chipset used for Nehalem-based servers is based off the X58 so this is not much of a surprise. My work has a handful of dual quad-core Nahelem based servers and they are crazy fast.

Since it's X58 (or newer) based it looks like triple channel RAM is there as well. If the chipset is the same as the server chipsets each CPU has its own path to the NB.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Eyewatering price, even for people with Extreme edition 1K/CPU budgets.

Its pretty hard to see how the cpu on the right gets routed to the NB.
                Maybe its a 8 or 10-layer board.

Comment

The current Alienware cases won't take it by the looks of things :

edit : They're both mATX boards so no, it won't fit.

Comment

Asus finally launched the official product page for its upcoming P6T7 WS SuperComputer motherboard, built on two Nvidia nForce 200 chips and 7 PCIe slots.

While at CeBIT in Germany, Asus unveiled its new LGA1366-based dual socket motherboard.
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

These things will be fast enough to smoke tires

I want 'em. Yesterday.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                      X