Patrick Stewart, Erich Reich and Peter Jackson knighted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrick Stewart, Erich Reich and Peter Jackson knighted

Reich deserves recognition for his work and two of my favorite film personalities.

Tonight I'll be raising a shot of Crown Royal Cask No.16 in their honor

Patrick Stewart of "Star Trek" receives knighthood

Dec. 31, 2009, 6:41 AM EST

LONDON (AP) -- There's an especially starry knight in Britain's latest round of royal honors.

Patrick Stewart — "Star Trek: The Next Generation's" Capt. Jean-Luc Picard — becomes Sir Patrick in Queen Elizabeth II's New Year honors list, which also includes a knighthood for theater and film director Nicholas Hytner.

"This is an honor that embraces those actors, directors and creative teams who have in these recent years helped fill my life with inspiration, companionship and sheer fun," said 69-year-old Stewart, who recently returned to the British stage following a long career in Hollywood that included playing Professor Charles Xavier in three "X-Men" films.

Erich Reich, a refugee from Nazi-occupied Europe who organized last year's 70th anniversary of the "Kindertransport," which brought 10,000 children to wartime Britain, also received a knighthood.

A separate honors list in New Zealand bestowed a knighthood on the king of Middle Earth — "Lord of the Rings" filmmaker Peter Jackson.

Jackson, 53, was knighted in New Zealand, his native land and the filming location for the trilogy, which collected 17 Academy Awards. The New Zealand award is approved by the queen, the country's head of state.

Jackson is currently is working on the two-movie prequel "The Hobbit," also based on a book by J.R.R. Tolkien, with Mexican director Guillermo del Toro.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The wholw affair is a farce. Tell mme what percentage have done anything meritorious, over and above their job descriprions in this list

Maybe 5%????
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Getting Knighted : just another title.....
      Last edited by Technoid; 1 January 2010, 12:32.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

More likely benighted

Comment

So when someone is knighted, what does that really mean these days?

Comment

The only difference is that Mr Stewart is henceforth called Sir Patrick and that he kneels before the queen and gets hit on the shoulder with the flat of a sword.

The trouble is that many plebs seem to respect and grovel before the Sir, while it makes no difference to the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
              So when someone is knighted, what does that really mean these days?
              They get a free upgrade to business class by having Sir on their ticket????
              paulw

Comment

Working...
              X