My PC Woes....solved ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PC Woes....solved ?

As you may know, ever since I built this PC, about the same time as Mehen, I have had periodic problems where the PC just won't boot.
    And then a few days later its back up and running...

Well, it happened just before Xmas. again.
    I didn't try more than leaving it unplugged for awhile, and trying again.
    Lights and fans, nothing else. No beeps.

Used my laptop on the KVM to acces the web etc from my normal screen and keyboard (try remembering where the azerty layout is on a qwerty keyboard) for a few days, justso I didn't lose it and just drop it from a height....

So yesterday, I gave it another shot.
    Took the memory out one by one. nowt.
    Took all the memory out, Beep beep. wow, first time thats happenned.
    Put one memory back in, nowt.
    Grab Gskill memory, try that, beep boot. Balls.

Try Corsair again, nothing. sod.

Basically tried all the DDR2 I had :
    2xGskill DDR2-800 1Gb (twin Kit)
    4xDDR2-1066 Corsair Dominator C5 (2xTwin kit)

Two of the Dominators are dead. Nothing happens.
    One dominator has thousands of errors.
    One Gskill 1Gb has ONE error. arse.

So i'm left with one Dominator and one GSkill 1Gb each, at 800.

I'm in the process of RMA'ing two of the Dominators, all four being identical visually, serials et al.

I have to say its also the first time i've managed to complete a full AV scan of my PC without it rebooting or something, so I suspect the 3 faulty Dominators were faulty from the beginning.

I had tried all 4 at once, but got problems immediately.
    Then I just stuck to two, and after the first crash after 3-6 months, I tried the other two, and they had evn more errors than the ones I was taking out. Not saying the ones that were put back in had errors. I did a memtest back then and they came out fine. I had found a good pair, or so i thought.
    Should have RMA'd them back then, but I was not arsed, since the PC was up and going again.

Looking back I had problems with Prime95 stability, and stuff, even at some pretty low cpu overclocks, right from the start. I suspected the NB or the CPU ( it being a 2xDualcore) limiting, not some High Grade RAM I had....I mean, I never even had to overclock the RAM.
    The maximum FSB i have gotten to was 450, which is DDR2-900, on a 1-1 FSB-RAM interface.

Anyways, the PC has just finished its first complete scan, and I even managed to run Prime for a few hours yesterday, to test it at 3.2Ghz and its stable as rock.

Lets hope it stays this way, and that the ram I get back is just as stable.

Memtest 4 can be found at Memtest.org

Some earlier versons had problems with detecting my chipset, but this one seems very good.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

slight omission : From march to August last year I had GSkill 800MHz memory, and I needed 1066 capable memory. Thats why I switched to the Dominators.

So it was stable to begin with, and I just expected the memory to be rock stable up to 1066, and that any problems would be chipset/cpu related before they were memory related...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

double post....chrome is f*ing up lately....

Comment

When stuff like that happens I always put everything back to stock clocks and start pulling every non-essential component out.
        Also, since I switched to Win7 RC1 I don't think my computer has ever frozen or crashed. Windows Media Player has crashed a few times but that doesn't really count - since that is to be expected.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

The last couple of time, i took stuff out one by one, and it booted after a few things had been taken out.
          One of the first times, I had nothing left in the machine, not even video cards, and no beep nothing...

it could be the mobo i suppose, thats not a very happy chappy.....

I was under the impression that My BIOS was causing the trouble, as the blockage seemed to not be limited to a piece of hardware...

We'll see how long it lasts now.....

Comment

Working...
          X