GTA vs. 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTA vs. 911

Erik gets 2 hours of computer time a day and that has to end by 8:00 PM, one hour before his bed time. Only extensions are if its homework or graphic arts related. Bored? Read a book. Work on a project. Play outside. Don't just sit on your arse.

Link....

The 911 on video game obsession

Frazzled Roxbury mom calls the cops on teen gamer

By Laurel J. Sweet and Marie Szanislo

It’s game over for a 14-year-old Roxbury boy, whose overwhelmed mother was so exasperated with his incessant video game playing that she called the cops on him.

The final straw for Angela Mejia snapped at 2:30 a.m. Saturday when, “I woke up in the middle of the night and saw the light on in his bedroom,” hours after she had told him to go to sleep.

“Sometimes I want to run away, too,” Mejia said, breaking down in tears in her immaculate apartment. “I have support from my church, but I’m alone. I want to help my son, but I can’t find a way.”

Mejia is among thousands of parents struggling with today’s video-game obsessed youth. The Entertainment Software Association reports the popularity of video games is skyrocketing, with 42 percent of adults intending to give, or hoping to find one in their Christmas stocking this week.

Mejia’s son - one of four children the 49-year-old is raising alone - was playing “Grand Theft Auto,” an exceedingly violent video in which the gamer assumes the role of ladder-climbing criminal.

An argument ensued as Mejia unplugged her son’s PlayStation. Then, this mad-as-hell mother dialed 911. Police responded and managed to talk the boy into shutting off the game and going to sleep.

“They (police) were just like, ‘Chill out. Go to bed,’ ” the boy told the Herald.

Mejia said she approves of athletic-themed videos, but as for “Grand Theft Auto,” she said, “I would never buy that kind of video. No way. I called (police) because if you don’t respect your mother, what are you going to do in your life?”

Mejia, a cafeteria cashier at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Jamaica Plain, said the two officers who responded “were surprised” there was more involved than putting the lid on a simmering family feud.

Emmy Award-winning documentarian Lawrence Kutner, former co-director of the Center for Mental Health and Media at Massachusetts General Hospital is the author of “Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games and What Parents Can Do.”

“Clearly, it’s a very, very rare situation for someone to call the cops. That she went to the extreme of calling the police tells me more about her level of frustration than anything else,” Kutner said.

“Adults tend to view video games as isolating experiences,” Kutner said. “Kids view them as social experiences. It’s a way in part - especially for boys - of gaining social acceptance.”
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 December 2009, 10:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Although this was not a real problem, my ex-son-in-law put a time switch that cut TV and computer in grandson's room at 21:00 each night to pre-empt any risk of it becoming a problem.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

It isn't a problem solely for children. I had to completely remove Tiberian Sun from all of our computers because I was wasting way too much time fighting one battle after another in an endless war of attrition. Experienced some nasty seperation anxiety after I unloaded it, too. Felt a little lost for a while.

For a number of months in the late '90's I had to banish ALL games from my computer, up to and including Windows Solitaire!

Kevin

Comment

My wife calls Team Fortress 2 my mistress.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It's not even just computers.
          When I was a teacher I carried my tv out to the front porch (rural setting) and put a bullet through the screen because it was keeping me behind on my grading.

I'm sure more than one stone age father had to pitch all the nearby round pebbles into the nearest lake to keep the kids from playing marbles all day instead of helping Mom skin the deer.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
          X