Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-Ray 3D specification

Just in time for the Avatar BR's to come out for next Christmas

NOT related to the 3D LCD displays being released by TV manufacturers soon.

Link....

Blu-ray 3D Specification Is Final: 1080p Through Goggles Coming Soon To The Living Room

Monday, December 21, 2009 - by Shawn Oliver

With just about everyone hopping on the 3D bandwagon (firms like Sony and NVIDIA included), we figured it was only a matter of time before the powers that be granted the 3D specification for Blu-ray the approval it needed to move forward as a serious, backed format. Sure enough, that is exactly what has happened this week, and just in time for the demonstrations at CES to begin in early 2010.

The Blu-ray Disc Association, which obviously oversees the forward progress of the BD format, announced that the Blu-ray 3D specification had finally been finalized and readied for release. According to it, the spec will "enable the home entertainment industry to bring the 3D experience into consumers’ living rooms on Blu-ray Disc," but we still have to wonder how many Blu-ray owners will be willing to watch films on their players with goggles. There's no question that 3D is being force-fed to consumers, and in cinemas, it seems to be generating mostly positive buzz. Getting the same type of hype into the living room could prove to be much more difficult, but having a Blu-ray 3D spec around is definitely great news for advocates.

The spec will allow for full 1080p content to be displayed in 3D, and it should work on any display (plasma, LCD, etc.) We're told that the paperwork should be printed and ready for release "shortly," though there's no word on how quickly manufacturers can wrap this stuff into their next wave of products. A few highlights are listed below.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2009, 12:44.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Yup, and my PS3 will be ready for BR-3D

Comment

I don't understand why this hasn't been commonplace for at least 5 years.

Comment

Well, well, well......

RealD theaters brought in over half of Avatar's grosses, so I guess it's no surprise.

CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Samsung signs RealD in nascent 3D TV market

Samsung Electronics has announced a partnership to use RealD's 3D display technology in its TVs, a move that could help to extend RealD's business from theaters today to the home tomorrow.

"Together, we are committed to enhancing the TV viewing experience with the best that 3D technology can offer including immersive, lifelike depth and a new realm of color clarity," Dongho Shin, senior vice president of Samsung Electronics' Visual Display Division, said in a statement.

3D display technology today is generally limited to premium movie theater screens, with RealD vying against Dolby 3D from Dolby Labs and XpanD. But home 3D theater is the next frontier. High-profile 3D movies, most notably James Cameron's "Avatar," are nudging 3D technology toward the mainstream in both movie creation and display.
        >
        RealD on Wiki....

RealD Cinema is a digital stereoscopic projection technology. It is the world's most widely used technology for watching 3D movies in theatres and is the cheapest to install and maintain. It requires only one projector, unlike older film-based stereoscopic 3D projection technology. A high-resolution, digital cinema grade video projector is used. The projectors use Texas Instruments' Digital Light Processing device or Sony's reflective liquid crystal display. RealD has an exclusive agreement with Sony to provide technology to project 3D movies with the Sony 4K projector.
        >
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've been reading about 3D thats coming out on TV's later this year and so far I'm not too impressed with it...
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I've seen it, and am not too impressed with it...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Interesting read on the health issues of current 3D technology:
              Australia's leading source of information and entertainment

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
              X