Bye Bye SAAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye Bye SAAB

GM couldn't agree to terms with a buyer so they'll close them down.

Link....

GM will shutter Saab after talks collapse

Robert Snell / The Detroit News

Detroit -- General Motors Co. will shut down its Saab brand after announcing today that it could not conclude a deal to sell the Swedish automaker.

It is the latest setback in GM's efforts to sell unwanted brands, including Saturn and Opel. GM officials are expected to provide more details at a 9:45 a.m. conference call.

GM Chairman and interim CEO Ed Whitacre warned earlier this week that it may close Saab by the end of the month if a deal cannot be reached with possible buyer Spyker Cars N.V.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I'm amazed that GM didnt pull the plug years ago...
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Me too. Their volume was very low and a drain on the rest of the company.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Saab was a good company and GM absolutely sucks for shutting it down!

Comment

How could they afford to keep it open? GM tried to sell it but no takers, and they need to get rid of non-performing units. Sad, but SAAB has been a niche mark for decades and hasn't been able to sustain itself nearly as long. Without GM's backing they'd have gone titsup ages ago.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Saab hasn't made GM any money in years.
            Yea, for the most part they were solid, reliable cars.
            But overpriced, expesive to service/repair, and lets be honest FUGLY.

GM has to trim the fat to survive, and this was an obvious choice for the dumpster. More ppl (at least here in the US) will miss Saturn more than Saab...
            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

All may not be lost - apparently the new models may be built in China. I'll post when more details come out of GM locally.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
                Enjoy your American GM trash
                The biggest POS that GM has produced in decades has been the Pontiac GTO/G8s.

Care to guess where they were made?
                Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Now I'm normally pro GM/FORD, but just comparing the money I've spent on my Navigator over the years (currently over 300,000km) and the money some of my friends have spent on their GM trucks/SUV's I am really surpised GM is still in business.
                  The repairs on the GM's are non-stop. Just simple things that happen to cost a fortune - A/C lines rotting, brake lines rotting, window motors, brake backing plates, electrical parts, etc... And these people keep buying them... and... slagging my Ford. I have only had one major expenditure in 300,000kms (tranny - $2100), but some of these guys spend that every 6 months.
                  Cost of ownership wise, I have spent less than 1/2 of some of these guys. But they keep going back.
                  Sheeple I call them, just following the herd. It's the only thing keeping GM alive.
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Spyker makes new bid, this just in from Bloomberg mobile...

Spyker Cars Makes a New Bid to GM for Saab Automobile

Dec. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Spyker Cars NV submitted a revised offer for General Motors Co.’s Saab unit, two days after GM said it planned to wind down the Swedish company following the collapse of previous talks with Spyker.

GM better accept the deal now.

Comment

I think that most of the issues with the sales are due to GM's refusal to devulge any 'technologies' it thinks it owns. GM would rather let the line go rather than give up any 'secrets'. They won't let anyone buy out the car company in it's entirety
                      It makes it extremely difficult as a new owner to maintain a vehicle line when you need to re-invent many of the drive systems and electronics associated with them. Just not cost effective. At that point jyou are just buying a name and a shell of a car.
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
                        At that point jyou are just buying a name and a shell of a car.
                        And a production line...?

I hope the Saab brand doesn't disappear. It always has this exclusiveness surrounding it. And they made some very nice prototypes in recent years: if that was a sign for things to come...

Jörg
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                          And a production line...?

I hope the Saab brand doesn't disappear. It always has this exclusiveness surrounding it. And they made some very nice prototypes in recent years: if that was a sign for things to come...

Jörg
                          I'm hopefull it won't die either. It's a great car line. It boils down to what GM wants in $$ and what it's willing to give up - to a buyer that will eventually be a competitor.

Comment

Another sticky wicket is if GM were developing a Voltec version of one of SAAB's new platforms and if that tech would be part of the deal. That's what killed the Opel deal; they didn't want the Russians getting their hands on & reverse engineering the propitiatory tech documents and source codes, especially the very dev intensive part for smoothing the transitions from all electric to range extender mode.

UPDATE: Detroit News story....
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 December 2009, 14:59.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

On again

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Comment

Working...
                              X