No announcement yet.

School reform: Michigans good start....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School reform: Michigans good start....

....that looks to be revisited after next years elections. God knows we've needed some of this since forever. For once both parties told the MEA (teachers union) where to go and how to get there. Too bad it took a federal bribe to get some of them there.

Link.....

State lawmakers reach 'landmark' education deal

by Karen Bouffard / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

Lansing -- The high school drop-out age will be raised to 18, failing schools shuttered and ineffective teachers could lose their tenure (me: which makes them easier to fire) under a deal struck by lawmakers early today on "landmark" education reform bills.

The legislation is being drafted into bills that lawmakers hope to pass out of both chambers by the end of today, according to Rep. Tim Melton, D-Auburn Hills, chairman of the House Education Committee.

"This is serious reform," Melton said of the package. "This is a landmark piece of legislation."

Michigan must enact fundamental education reforms to qualify for up to $400 million or more in federal Race to the Top funding.

The legislation will allow for creation of new charter schools (me: expansion of the program), cyber schools and "school of innovation" (college prep schools) run by top quality charter operators from around the country.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 December 2009, 11:40.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X