Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Mobo for CUmine 500e

Hello

Whats the best mobo for my CUmine 500e, IwillSlocket2 combo, ie the most stable, i want to overclock this baby big time. Are the Asus boards any good, i would like a board with softFSB if poss.

A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
    Custom Heatsink/Globalwinfan setup
    128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
    I-Will Slocket2
    PIII Coppermine 500e@690 FSB 138
    Windows98SE
    Matrox G400 32 D/H (Latest drivers)
    Soundblaster 1024 Live @3.0 drivers
    8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
    6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
    MS Intell/Explorer USB
    Pioneer 6/32x DVD
    Memorex 48X CD
    Altec lansing Sub + 2 satelite speakers

Golden Orb (www.plycon.com) being installed soon

Old Joes's Going for IT!!!

I have tested CuMines of several types with a slotket and without on both my BH6 R 1.01, and ABit BE6, they both run it well and overclock very well.

Hugh G.

Comment

I just stuck a Slot 1 Coppermine into this board:
      http://english.aopen.com/products/mb/ax6bcp2m.htm

It's very stable. Some people believe it is the most stable BX board available.

Note that this is a BX board, so there isn't a 1:4 AGP/FSB ration option. If you overclock your CPU, you will be overclocking your AGP board. It doesn't have as many front side bus speed options as some Abit and MSI boards, but the FSB and voltage can be manipulated in the BIOS.

Also, it doesn't have any ISA slots, which some people will like and others won't. The floppy drive connector is in a dumb place, which AOpen claims is a trade-off which lead to increased stability.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 05 February 2000).]

Comment

any one got any more ideas on mobos, as i will be purchasing at the end of this month, so i need all the info i can get
        A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
        128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
        I-Will Slocket2
        Windows98SE
        8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
        6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
        MS Intell/Explorer USB
        Pioneer 6/32x DVD
        Memorex 48X CD

Comment

Have you considered a Via Apollo Pro 133(A) based board? Most of these boards support fsb up to 155mhz and you can run your ram 33mhz less than the fsb so even if you have cheap ram you can still o/c very far. They have a 1/2 AGP divider and a 1/4 pci divider and UDMA66. If you get the A revision you get AGP4X. I've got the Aopen AX63Pro and I haven't had any problems with it.

[This message has been edited by Compton (edited 05 February 2000).]

Comment

I just got a PIII 500e flip chip pga on Friday. My board is an Asus P3B-F and the cpu is working fine with a generic s370 to slot 1 "Matrix" converter. It has a sticker on the box stating "New Coppermine CPU FC-PGA CPU 133MHz Ready". The converter is cheap at $17Cdn. I want an Iwill converter but can't find one here, I think it is a better quality converter.
            I overclocked the 500e to 560 but the cpu temp. reads high at 66 C. The heat sink is cool so I think it might be an error.
            I replaced the heat sink thermal pad on the intel fan with thermal grease from Radio Shack and it seems to have good contact. The system was stable at 560 and ran 3dmark2000 ok. I did not run too long at 560 because the 66 C made me uncomfortable.
            The P3B-F has been a good board. I like power on through the space bar. In Win200 retail it both sleeps (suspend to ram) and hibernates (suspend to disk). If you get one be sure to get the latest revision mine is the third but I think they are on four now.

Comment

The Asus P3V4X (Via Apollo Pro 133A) is a very good board for the 'Coppermine' PIII. I'm evaluating one at the moment, and it flies, 500e @ 667MHz no problem with default voltage/standard heat sink. I've also tested it with a GeForce, G400MAX and ViperII - all operate with AGP4x enabled just fine.

I'd still go for an Athlon though

Chris

Comment

Thanks Rogue, is that board available in the UK?, any idea of price, where i can purchase?.

Cheers

A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
                128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
                I-Will Slocket2
                Windows98SE
                8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
                6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
                MS Intell/Explorer USB
                Pioneer 6/32x DVD
                Memorex 48X CD

Comment

Is that a 133mhz FSB mobo?, I have got my current setup up to 124 FSB stable. thats as far as it goes before it starts locking, i have 155 maximum FSB on the baord but it's the AGP clock speed thats letting the system down, i think!.
                  A-Trend Mobo 6240 V2
                  128MB/PC133/PC100 Combo
                  I-Will Slocket2
                  Windows98SE
                  8.4 West Dig (ATA 33)
                  6.4 Fugitsu (ATA 66)
                  MS Intell/Explorer USB
                  Pioneer 6/32x DVD
                  Memorex 48X CD

Comment

I tested the P500e using the 133 bus setting on the ASUS P3B-F. This setting gave me a 1/4 pci bus which is within pci spec. I don't know what the agp setting is but I suspect 2/3 of 133. The P500e@133 seems fine in both win2000 and win98se. Performance wise P500e@100 gives 2732 in 3dmark2000. With the P500e@133 the test gives 3134. My sys-specs: G400max, 256mb PC100, ASUS P3B-F (1004 bios), Sblive, Promise Ultra ata66, ATI TV-Wonder, Generic NIC, PT795 display.
                    The problem with the temp. reading was that it is out of spec if I overclock at the other mh settings like 112mh. At 100 and 133 CPU temp. report is fine. ASUS PC Probe reported 47 C after the 3dMax2000 test @133.
                    In windows 2000 the CPU temp is lower than in Win98se because the os has a builtin software cpu cooler called "system idle process" that reports 99% usage when nothing is running.

Comment

Yes the motherboard is available in the UK from http://www.smcdirect.co.uk/ it costs around £95 inc VAT.
                      It has the VIA Apollo Pro 133A chipset, which means at 133MHz FSB the AGP is still within specs. It also has an AGP 4x compatible slot - nice, but don't expect much of a performance increase with it enabled.

Comment

Working...
                      X