• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another LCD price-fixing convicion

Link....

Another LCD Maker Pleads Guilty to LCD Price Fixing

Chi Mei Optoelectronics pleads guilty to price fixing

The LCD market has been rife with fraud and price fixing over the last year. Some of the world's largest LCD makers have been embroiled in price fixing scandals in the TFT-LCD industry for PCs.

In November of 2008, Sharp, LG, and Chunghwa Picture Tubes all pled guilty to price fixing and paid fines totaling $548 million to the U.S. Justice Department. The price fixing scheme ultimately ended with some of the executives involved going to prison here in America. This month Nokia announced that it too was filing suit against some of the same companies for alleged price fixing in the mobile phone industry.

Nokia alleged in its suit, "[The] illegal conspiracy raised the price of LCDs above the price that would have prevailed in a competitive market."
    >
    EWeek quotes a DOJ statement saying, "According to a one-count felony charge ... Chi Mei Optoelectronics participated in a conspiracy to fix the prices of TFT [thin-film transistor]-LCD panels sold worldwide from Sept. 14, 2001, to Dec. 1, 2006. ... Companies directly affected by the LCD price-fixing conspiracy are some of the largest computer and television manufacturers in the world, including Apple, Dell and HP [Hewlett-Packard]."

So far, six companies have pled guilty or agreed to plead guilty for their roles in the scheme. Fines totaling over $860 million have been handed out and nine executives have been charged so far.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

There was a memory price fixing thing a bit back wasn't there ?
    You'd have thought they'd have learnt from it.

edit : then again, its prob about the same time...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Chi Mei..... my tft monitor is that brand
      No wonder it was expensive
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

So how much were we raped for here?

Comment

Working...
        X