Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its world premiere was in London and reports are coming in....

Chris Hewitt - Empire Online

Review

Avatar is unequivocally, completely, 100% the film that has been percolating in James Cameron’s head for the last fourteen years. It is not, in all probability, the film that you had in yours when you first heard that the man who directed Aliens and The Terminator was returning to sci-fi with a movie so ambitious that he had to build the technology to make it happen. If you can let go of your version and embrace Cameron’s – if you’re not, in other words, one of those splenetic internet fanboy types who’ve apparently made their minds up about Avatar before seeing it – then Avatar is a hugely rewarding experience: rich, soulful and exciting in the way that only comes from seeing a master artist at work.

Let’s address the Big Question first: to use the key phrase so often used in connection with the movie, is it a game-changer? Yes, and no would be the cop-out answer, but it’s also the truth. Avatar employs technology necessary to render its largely computer-generated, 3D world that will give directors, including but not limited to Cameron, one heck of a sandbox to play in over the next few years. That’s how the game has changed off screen.
    >
    It’s a world, not to give too much away, that Cameron clearly fully intends to return to and further explore. When he does, our bags are already packed.

>
    Todd McCarthy - Variety
    The King of the World sets his sights on creating another world entirely in "Avatar," and it's very much a place worth visiting. The most expensive and technically ambitious film ever made, James Cameron's long-gestating epic pitting Earthly despoilers against a forest-dwelling alien race delivers unique spectacle, breathtaking sights, narrative excitement and an overarching anti-imperialist, back-to-nature theme that will play very well around the world, and yet is rather ironic coming from such a technology-driven picture. Twelve years after "Titanic," which still stands as the all-time B.O. champ, Cameron delivers again with a film of universal appeal that just about everyone who ever goes to the movies will need to see.
    The Sun

THE last time James Cameron directed a movie he broke all box office records.

Now - 12 years after Titanic - he has sunk £300million into Avatar to produce the most dazzling film of the decade.

It's a 3D movie people will look back on in years to come to comment on how it transformed cinema.

In recent 3D releases such as Beowulf, the effects were impressive but the computer-generated humans looked far from real.

In Avatar, everything feels real - and it's as if you are immersed in the action.

Awestruck

The final battle scene is 20 minutes long and absolutely mind-blowing.

One of the most amazing scenes comes when Jake and Neytiri are walking in the dark through a forest on Pandora.

Suddenly, she puts out her torch and you see all the vivid, fluorescent plants.

Some people - who have only seen the photos and not the film - have commented that it looks a bit cartoonish.

It doesn't. Everything feels real. It's as if Cameron has happened upon this alien world and got his camera out.

Zoe (Saldana), who played Uhura in the recent Star Trek remake, also displays star quality.
    >
    Sam Rubin - KTLA - Los Angeles

New "Avatar" movie & James Cameron will go to the Oscars as nominees

3:15 PM December 10, 2009

London --- Just left the 'World Premiere' of "Avatar," and while the standing ovation the film received at its conclusion is probably just the requisite politeness; I can report that this is another rare example where the quality of the movie does indeed exceed the hype and "Avatar" will most certainly be among the 10 'Best Picture' nominees for the Oscars; and James Cameron will also be a Best Director nominee. I think it is also possible that actress Zoe Saldana, who has the most challenging of roles in the film, may rack up an additional acting nomination as well.

The movie may owe more than a few plot points to the story of Pocahontas, and there may be some grousing at a fairly heavy-handed treatment of corporate greed and our lack of American energy independence; but the key question, is Cameron able to deliver a movie that packs the entertainment value and emotional punch of 'Titanic.' The clear answer is 'Yes.' The Oscars will not ignore this film.
    >
    Times of London

Movie events don’t get bigger than this. James Cameron’s long-awaited follow-up to Titanic, the most successful film to date, is immense in every way: from the ambition and scope of its vision, to the ground-breaking technological wizardry, to the staggering size of its budget.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 December 2009, 22:44.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I've been debating an IMAX 3D visit for this one. Local IMAX is $15 a head though.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

at least you have one nearby.

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

WOW the reviews are really high. From the trailer I thought this is going to be the movie of the year, and I can't wait to see it.

Comment

85% on the Tomatometer, though just 20 reviews it's been steady.

IGN UK

The movie is reminiscent of the great epics of yesteryear - from Gone With The Wind to Spartacus to Gladiator. These classic movies relied on universal themes and instantly recognisable characters to drive their monumental stories, and Avatar is no different. This is drama on a vast canvas and painted with broad brush-strokes. It's stirring stuff and the audience is powerless to prevent being swept up in the action and the emotion of it all.
          Hollywood Reporter

"Avatar"

Bottom Line: A titanic entertainment -- movie magic is back!

A dozen years later, James Cameron has proven his point: He is king of the world.

As commander-in-chief of an army of visual-effects technicians, creature designers, motion-capture mavens, stunt performers, dancers, actors and music and sound magicians, he brings science-fiction movies into the 21st century with the jaw-dropping wonder that is "Avatar." And he did it almost from scratch.
          >
          In years of development and four years of production no detail in the pic is unimportant. Cameron's collaborators excel beginning with the actors. Whether in human shape or as natives, they all bring terrific vitality to their roles.

Mauro Fiore's cinematography is dazzling as it melts all the visual elements into a science-fiction whole. You believe in Pandora. Rick Carter and Robert Stromberg's design brings Cameron's screenplay to life with disarming ease.

James Horner's score never intrudes but subtlety eggs the action on while the editing attributed to Cameron, Stephen Rivkin and John Refoua maintains a breathless pace that exhilarates rather than fatigues. Not a minute is wasted; there is no down time.

The only question is: How will Cameron ever top this?
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
            I've been debating an IMAX 3D visit for this one. Local IMAX is $15 a head though.

Well worth it for this movie, if you ask me. I'll just sneak out alone quietly...
            Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Just for the record: Rottentomatoes is up to 91% with 35 reviews.

Hollywood.com

James Cameron's long-awaited sci-fi epic is every bit as wondrous and imaginative as promised. Prepare to be amazed.
              Sci-Fi Movie

Avatar is part National Geographic TV special, part Guns 'n' Ammo bumper edition . . .

Ebert
              Watching "Avatar," I felt sort of the same as when I saw "Star Wars" in 1977. That was another movie I walked into with uncertain expectations. James Cameron's film has been the subject of relentlessly dubious advance buzz, just as his "Titanic" was. Once again, he has silenced the doubters by simply delivering an extraordinary film. There is still at least one man in Hollywood who knows how to spend $250 million, or was it $300 million, wisely.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 December 2009, 08:59.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hearing that a lot from friends who went to last nights midnight preview, but we won't see it 'til this weekend.

Can't wait
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Seen it, and while the visuals are stunning (finally cgi without even a hint of "shiny" ) the plot is ... suffering from lack of depth and aggressive use of tired old cliché, I counted 20 before i put my brain in "neutral" an just went with the ride

at 2h 41m its way to looong
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The Pocahontas "cliche'" isn't one in these parts. It's familiar, but also extremely popular.

Our crew loved it and a totally full theater was oohing and aahing for the duration. Too many times to count people ducked as the 3D seemed to fly off the screen

Didn't find it too long at all as we let ourselves suspend disbelief and go for the ride. Dances With Wolves was too long, but not Avatar.

At the end it got a rare thing: a standing ovation from a full house. Haven't seen that in a movie theater for a long time.

The DVD/BR sales are going to be massive, and likely provide the driving force for the new BR-3D standard that was just announced to get off the ground.
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 December 2009, 12:35.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'll go see it in 3D for the FX, though after reading plot outline I'm prepared to put my brain in neutral.

Comment

shoulc be seeing it in 3D in about 18 hours, weather permitting.
                        FT.

Comment

I ventured out to King of Prussia, PA on Saturday, right in the middle of the Blizzard that nailed the Northeast Corridor over the weekend. I got the tickets 2 weeks before hand and one of my coworkers who live in PA met up with my friend and I.

I was totally amazed at the movie, the plot was decent, but the effects where out of this world. It was one of the best movies I've seen in ages. Was well worth the 2 1/2 hour ride back home from PA to Jersey that should have only taken an hour.

I liked it so much I'm seeing it in regular 3d tonight again with some other friends, after seeing it in IMAX 3D
                          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Saw it in 3D Friday, great flick.

**Spoiler alert**

There were clearly some scientific shortcomings in the movie though. They allowed these avatars to "get lost in the woods"? They didn't have a beacon up their ass?

The guns still fired rounds?

And the windsheilds on the airships could be penetrated with spears? Come on.

I could go on, but you get the point.

Comment

*** spoiler? ***

1. Agreed
                              2. The hardest thing to stop is good old fashion kenitic energy.
                              3. Agreed, though it depends greatly on the weight of the spear, the strength of the tip and how fast the airship is flying towards it...
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X