Stupid users again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid users again.

So aspiring developer coworker wrote in the email today: I can't access SQL database on machine (among other stuff probably because I deleted .ldf file because it was taking too much space).

Of course you can't access SQL database if you erased transaction log file of that database.

I had to restrain myself not to send ROFLCOPTER as a reply.

ldf is a transaction log of SQL database. Here the data that's needed to recreate database in case of failure goes and logs are flushed on backup. If the log is gone, you loose state of database. This guy was a developer who works with SQL databases daily, he was supposed to know what a transaction log is.

Comment

You did tell him he was working on the *only* copy in existence of that particular database?
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Data wasn't important, it was performance testing development server runing in virtual machine. Still I spent 3h fixing it.

Comment

I can imagine... but just to make him feel more uncomfortable...
          (I'm just that evil...)
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
          X