Opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera

Last night I watched the live transmission of the opening opera of the La Scala, Milan, season, attended by the President. It happened to be Carmen this year. The lead role was taken by a 25 year-old Georgian girl, Anita Rachvelishvili. As a mezzo-soprano, she has a fantastic voice, although she didn't have the looks of a real Carmen. I was slightly disappointed by Escamillo, a Uraguayan, Erwin Schrott. He sang very well but he lacked the swagger and arrogance of a true Escamillo. Don José (German, Jonas Kaufmann) was superb, especially in the very difficult Flower Song, a challenge for any tenor: this earned him a very unusual spontaneous applause. The only real criticism I had was that some singers had poor French accents, to the extent that I missed some words.

However, at the end, the whole cast, including the conductor, Daniel Barenboim, received a fantastic acclamation of applause, well deserved, without a single hitch. That is until the the Producer, Emma Dante, was led onto the stage. She was booed like I've never ever heard anyone shouted down before in any form of theatre. The poor woman tried hard to keep back her tears but she was visibly broken. In a way, I'm not over-surprised, she designed the scenes and costumes, with some quite surrealist ideas. The uniforms of the soldiers were awful with floppy caps and decorated unmilitary tunics. In the bit where the kids imitate the marching soldiers, there was a background of a dozen boys, probably 10-12, wearing nothing but their underpants, prancing and cartwheeling. The lighting was often dismal, especially in the final scene outside the Plaza de Toros, where the picadors progressed in a style reminiscent of a Cossack dance. I can well understand that the Milanese high society, highly conservative and elegant by nature, appreciated the value of the operatic and musical art, but less the visual art.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Not many people pay attention to the producer in any genre, concentrating on the director and talent, but they're the source from which the river flows. If they make bad choices there isn't much for the director and talent to do but try to make the best of things. Sounds like this river had a sewage plant at its headwaters
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
      She was booed
      I hear the patrons at Italian opera houses are quite the critics. They even booed Pavarotti in Venice because his voice cracked once. I hope the Met does some PBS broadcasts again soon. If I had the time and money I would get a subscription to the Met player.

Though it looks like Carmen is going out to the theaters in HD on 16 Jan. I've always wanted to try out the Met theater broadcasts.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post

Though it looks like Carmen is going out to the theaters in HD on 16 Jan. [/url]
        Is this one of the 12 film versions? I liked the Rosi production with Julia Migenes-Johnson in the lead role. She had just the right degree of sexuality - and knowing it - to seduce a Placido Domingo Don José, even though she sometimes had a little difficulty getting her voice down to mezzo.

I believe the latest film version is South African with an all-black cast. I'm told the singing is good but the casting is poor with an enormous obese Don José.

On Monday, they interviewed Placido Domingo, who is giving a La Scala concert tomorrow to celebrate the 40th anniversary of his singing at the Mecca of opera, including the first act of Die Walkyrie. Later in the season, he is playing a difficult role in a Verdi opera (didn't catch the name, but not one of the well-known ones). Apparently he starts as a tenor as a young man but he has to drop to baritone to portray the same character as an old man. 40 years at La Scala and still going strong (and 50 years in pro opera!)
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Not exactly. The Metropolitan Opera in NYC actually broadcasts, live and then as an encore, several of their opera's to movie theaters across North America and the world in high definiition audio/video. No Cyprus though.

It's supposed to be the next best thing to being in the opera house. It's $22 USD per adult ticket for the theater near me.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
          X