X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagate jumps into SSD market

Link....

Seagate enters solid-state drive market

Seagate is making a belated but potentially market-changing entry into the solid-state drive market.

Solid-state drives are generally faster than hard-disk drives, particularly at retrieving data, and have won limited acceptance in the laptop market. Seagate, however, is targeting the more lucrative and potentially larger server market and will compete with likes of Intel, Micron Technology, Samsung, and STEC.

Seagate's first salvo in the market is the new Pulsar drive, which is designed for blade computers and general server applications and offers up to 200 gigabytes of capacity based on the industry-standard Serial ATA interface.

Though pricier than hard-disk drives, the key dollar metric for solid-state drives in the server market is IOPS, or input/output operations per second. The more IOPS a large bank, for example, gets from a server equipped with solid-state drives, the more cost-effective the technology can be compared with hard-disk drives.

"SSDs provide superior dollars per IOP as compared to traditional hard drives," said Rich Vignes, a senior product line manager at Seagate.

Pulsar drives achieve a peak performance of up to 30,000 read IOPS and 25,000 write IOPS, Seagate says, many times the performance of even the fastest hard disk drives. Seagate began shipping Pulsar units to select customers in September.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Question is:
    Who designed the chips and who fabs them? Is this made by Seagate or just rebadged.

Comment

Nothing official, but it seems like the chips are OEM and the controller is Seagate. They have been R&D'ing the design for a while. Just my guess though...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So now they start making ssds instead of suing ssd makers
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Wake me up when SSD prices per gig reaches .20cents or less with capacities of up to 1TB or more at speeds of up to SATA 2.0 or 3.0 read and write

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
            So now they start making ssds instead of suing ssd makers
            Say what?

Comment

Somehow, I would have expected memory manufacturers to enter the SSD market, rather than traditional drive manufacturers... it just seems a bigger technological step for drive manufacturers then for memory manufacturers...
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
                Wake me up when SSD prices per gig reaches .20cents or less with capacities of up to 1TB or more at speeds of up to SATA 2.0 or 3.0 read and write
                U will sleep for another 10 years then
                A CRAY is the only computer that runs an endless loop in just 4 hours...

Comment

I´m still thinking about putting this sub-100$ kingston-intel 40gb ssd in as my primary, and a big 2.5" platter into the ultrabay of the laptop. would be nice. and I hardly use the dvd-drive anyway.

mfg
                  wulfman
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

SSD is faster than traditional drive but not night and day faster. IMO not 300 Euros worth faster. Will probably go 160GB SSD sometime next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicram View Post
                      U will sleep for another 10 years then

You're probably right LOL

Comment

hmm.. currently i'm working at seagate's platter media production plant (just a technician) and i'm being asked come for OT as demand is still going high, my friend who is a developement engineer over at the R&D facility had been working on hybrid and SSDs for sometime now, feels that its not a good time to get the first generation SSDs. Their firmware is not optimized right now.

So i'll wait till things are more settled. I was rather waiting for the hybrids but they seem to have delayed their developement. In any case, the mechanical hdds are still here to stay and the good news is they are moving towards low power and more silent drives
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

It won't take 10 years... closer to 3-5 years.

The performance difference and the power savings are quite large, particularly when you put them in a mobile PC.

I did a blind test with four pre-production 80GB Intel x25s and without exception, users I gave the SSD drives to called me at my desk afterward to ask what was so wrong with their old drives because they were running so slow.

For the record, I replaced the drives in two older (non AHCI SATA subsystem) laptops, as well as two newer GS45 chipset-equipped laptops, the perceived speed difference between the two chipsets wasn't all that much (though the measured differences were quite large, especially read speeds), but even 7200RPM laptop drives and a desktop hardware RAID1 array with 10000RPM SAS drives were absolutely blown away by the single SSD. The random read/ write times were orders of magnitude faster on the SSDs and the systems were noticably crisper.

When the test ended, just for giggles, I took two of the drives and dropped them into a RAID 0 array on an Intel 965 chipset (ICH9R):

Code:
                          --------------------------------------------------
                          CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo
                                Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
                          --------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read :  468.269 MB/s
                            Sequential Write :  140.309 MB/s
                           Random Read 512KB :  325.384 MB/s
                          Random Write 512KB :  131.700 MB/s
                             Random Read 4KB :   21.922 MB/s
                            Random Write 4KB :   63.232 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB
                                        Date : 2009/05/25 1:44:37
                          Last edited by MultimediaMan; 17 December 2009, 18:02.
                          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Hmmm the sequential read looks promising in a raid 0 array.

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino View Post
                              Say what?
                              Seagate sued STEC
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X