X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with MSI 6167 Athlon MB

Hello:

Can anyone help me with this?

My brother bought me an Athlon 650 and MSI 6167 MB. Installed and Turn on the computer and got no video, no beeping warning sounds, couldn't turn off power with case power switch, one of the two case fans connected to the connectors on mb would not work. The HD's and CD drives did spin up on power up. So I tried:

1.I thoght it could be the power supply problem (I have a Seven Team 300w ps which is one of the ps approved by AMD), so I took off power on 4 IDE Raid data HD's, unplugged raid card, sound card, network card in sequence and left only the video card(G400max): no go! Tried with another case/ps: negative!

2. Could it be the Video card? I took the Diamond Fusion AGP from another machine and tried on this mb: no luck!

3. RAM? plugged in the two stick of 64mb PC100 from my K6-2 450 system and same thing: it ain't working!

I think I have a bad mb because if any of the components including CPU not working the speaker will start beeping. Every connector is correctly plugged in on the mother board according to the manual. I have the same RAID system running on dual PII-333's with Tyan mb without any clitch.

Is there something else I can try before I RMA this sucker?

Thanks...

It very well could be a bad motherboard. I've seen similar symptoms from bad BX boards.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Hi,
      When I got my second MB it had a strange similar problem.
      I know every component was properly installed. No-go, it would not power up.
      I then took the M/B out of the system.
      Used my old P/S, and it then booted up.( only CPU and P/S connected to MB)
      I then installed MB in case, same problem with new P/S. I then connected old P/S with 3.5 Inch Floppy drive and screen Card, it booted up.

I the installed new P/S, then it booted up.
      Then I connected the rest off the system.
      It's been working since the last week. No I'm experiance strange problems again when playing 3D games. No hang ups what so ever, game falls through to desktop.

I ordered another 650 CPU, see then what happens.

Regards

Jochen Gundlach

Comment

Well, I am not exactly sure what I did, but the thing booted and the fans are turning and all 256mb of RAM recognized! The possible reason would be the CPU was not properly seated. Geez, I started to pack the mb into the box and ready to send it back to the retailer, but then decided to put it back and try again. I am going to go thru the rest of installation today... Wish me luck!

Comment

Sir H, sorry I missed this one but yup cpu not seated in the socket will cause that everytime! Man are they tight little virgins!

------------------
          Designer of the first commercial Athlon mod.
          Anyone up for an Athlon800+? Email me (epc@netdirect.net) for more information

3000 mips, 1.172 gflops @ 900 mHz 1:3 latency w/ active cooling
          CPUmark99 75
          FPU Winmark 4890

3Dmark 99 Max (8x6 16, 16, triple) PD5.41, Athlon@850mHz

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Everything went fine until I started getting blue fatal error screens randomly. Is there a known issue and fix for the following ?

G400(5.41 + TurboGL 1.0)
            SoundBlaster Live value sound card(Live Ware 3.0)
            Promise FastTrack66 IDE Raid card
            Kenwood 72x cd rom drive
            HP 810i cd burner

Also, should I update with the bio's and device drivers (AGP miniport, PCI bus host/bridge) from AMD and MSI site?

My configuration is as followed:

Win98
            C: IDE Array 1 (27gb Maxtor HD X2 IDE1 master + IDE2 master)
            D: IDE Array 2 (27gb Maxtor HD X2 IDE1 slave + IDE2 slave)
            E: HP cd writer
            F: Kenwood 72X
            192mb PC100 Ram

Aperture size: 256mb

help!

Comment

Have you installed the OS patches for the motherboard?

Jammrock

------------------
              PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yes you need the miniport and eide thingies, they give the Operating System (win98) proper access to the chipset (northbridge and southbridge)on the MS-6167.
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well, I did a clean install of Win98SE on an 8gb IDE drive not on the RAID and partitioned and formated the RAID arrays into 30gb, 30, 20, 20 data drives. Installed all the drivers from AMD (IDE, PCI Busmastering, AGP miniport) and flushed...errh flashed the newest bios from MSI, Fastrack66 driver from Promise. Then I installed PD 5.41 for G400 and did the forceAGP2x reghack thingy and installed TurboGL 1.0. Did the 3.0 driver(driver only without Liveware3) for SBlive and installed DirectX 7a. Everything went throught without a single blue screen.

QuakeIIIArena installed without problems but the game started with white flashing screen and locked up hard. I found the fix over at Matrox Games forum and Q3A now is flying on my new Athlon rocket!

Not running Win98 on a Raid drive seems to make the computer run faster and smoother. Maybe have to do with the slower seek time of the IDE Raid drive system. However the striped drives can move large amount of data faster(ie: Video editing and graphic works).

Now that the system is stable(maybe) Its time for some serious Overclocking! Hey Greebe, you still around?

Comment

Glad you got it working. What was the fix for Q3A? I'm just about to go down the althlon route myself.

Cheers

Tony.
                    FT.

Comment

Tony Andrews:

This is the thread that gave me the idea: <a href=http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002744.html>http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002744.html</a>

Here is what I tried:

"has anyone tried removing the OpenGL32.dll out of their Q3 directory then starting up the game and setting the res to 800x600 at 32bit then backing out of the game and putting the OpenGL32.dll back into the directory? If I recall that was the original fix to the huge white screen when you start it up... give it a try"
                      </p>

Hopefully futere PD's and TurboGL's can resolve this problem completely.

[This message has been edited by Sir Hitech (edited 05 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sir Hitech (edited 05 February 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                      X