BloodHound SSC - 1,000mph car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BloodHound SSC - 1,000mph car

They finally settled on a design, and Lockheed Martin is in on the act designing wheels that can survive 50,000 G centrifugal forces.

3 engines:

a jet engine from a EuroFighter to get it to 300mph

a hybrid rocket to get it supersonic and up to 1,000mph

an 800hp gasoline engine acting as an auxiliary power unit and as an oxidizer pump for the hybrid rocket

BLOODHOUND SSC - Britain's Land Speed Record car, races a Eurofighter Typhoon.

ユウのFX攻略ガイドでは、管理人のユウがFX会社の選び方からトレード手法まで詳しく解説しています。主に海外FXで大きく稼ぐ方法にスポットを当てており、小額から大きな利益を得たい方に役立つ情報を提供していきます。

(PhysOrg.com) -- A British team hoping to be the first to get a car to 1,000 mph (1,610 km/h) has made its final design selection. The six-tonne car, known as the Bloodhound, will be powered by a Eurofighter jet engine mounted above a hybrid rocket, and will be built in Bristol, UK.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 November 2009, 02:30.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

1,000mph is ridiculous.

In comparison:
    Harriers: between 545mph and 735mph.
    F-15: low altitude speed of 900mph (over 1650mph high altitude).
    F-16: low altitude speed of 915mph (over 1500mph high altitude).
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

In a way, I feel it is cheating: it is just a plane on wheels... For me, part of the definition of a car is that it is propelled through rotary motion of its wheels, not by jets...
      (I know, one of the first cars designed actually used a big propeller, but that is not what we now consider "car")
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
      X