US teachers union head lawyer on its "power"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US teachers union head lawyer on its "power"

Any questions now as to if the teachers union (National Education Assn.) has as its highest priority your kids or their own self interest?

We need more legislators like James Meeks and Dan Cronin - ones more interested in the kids than NEA contributions. This isn't a Democrat vs. Republican thing as there are more than enough legislators in both parties with their hands out to these leeches. We need to change that.

BTW: my wife, the teacher of 30+ years, is tougher on them than I am...probably because she has to deal with other teachers all day.

After 41 years as the nation's top education lawyer, Chanin closes his last Representative Assembly as general counsel with a stirring address to more than 8...

Chicago Tribune editorial....

'Too high a price'

We watched an interesting YouTube video the other day. It was brought to our attention by state Sen. James Meeks, the Chicago Democrat who is also pastor of Salem Baptist Church on the South Side. We think our readers should check out the video. It'll open your eyes.

Meeks, who chairs the Illinois Senate Education Committee, has been in a war with the Chicago Teachers Union since he had some tough things to say about public education in a Tribune essay and in a speech at Rainbow Push.

The CTU responded with a vow not to give him another dime in campaign money until he apologized. Meeks promptly wrote a check for $4,000, giving back every dime the union had already given him.

No apology.

You have to love this guy. He's genuinely looking out for kids and doesn't back down to pressure.

Back to the video. It shows the top lawyer of the National Education Association, Bob Chanin, speaking at the NEA's annual meeting in July. Chanin was retiring. This was his swan song.

Chanin makes unmistakably clear what the highest priority is for the union. Hint: It's not the education of your kids.

Chanin closed his nearly 25-minute speech by explaining the influence of the NEA:
    >
    We tried for several days to get NEA officials to explain those remarks. We wanted to ask if the rest of the union leadership believed that kids ranked behind collective bargaining on the teacher priority list. We're still waiting to hear from them.

We know the answer the Chicago Teachers Union gave the Rev. Meeks: Cross us and we'll choke off your money.

Meeks plans to introduce a bill in January that would give the kids at Chicago's lowest-performing schools a choice. It would give kids at 15 high schools and 48 elementary schools a voucher to pay for another school.

He plans to push to remove the cap on the number of charter schools in Illinois. The legislature raised the cap this year. But there should be no cap at all.

Meeks met on Thursday with Sen. Dan Cronin, the Republican leader on the Education Committee, to see if they can work out a bipartisan agenda.

Good for both of them.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 November 2009, 14:09.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I've seen it twice and I can't see what so damning about it, he honestly says how the union must work and why. well, he is a bit blunt but from what I saw he was addressing adults
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

The point is he put the teachers needs secondary to the needs of the kids, even if their often exorbitant salary demands mean the kids get the short shrift (wage demands take up about 60%-80% of shcool funding increases here).

What really ticks parents off is when a rather high percentage of these self-described "poorly paid teachers" come back from the Christmas or Easter breaks talking about their break vacations to Cancun, Cozumel, Cabo San Lucas etc.

Rare? Hardly. My wife, being a teacher, hears these conversations first hand in the teachers lounge. Makes her sick to hear them talk of these things then 2 months later cry poverty when contract time comes up, almost inevitably followed 6 months later by some kind of "emergency" property tax millage on homes for "education".

Meanwhile the private schools, charter and religious, do as good or a better job educating the kids - the charters on just the state provided funds and no property taxes.

This is why in failing districts like Detroit over half the kids have withdrawn from the public schools and attend charter, religious or attend classes in other districts that do cross-district school of choice, even though in most cases their parents have to provide the transportation. A large and growing number are also being home schooled, which is a growing, and legal, movement in Michigan.

Problem is even if you withdraw your kids from the public schools you still have to pay the property taxes that send other peoples kids to increasingly failing public schools.

Personally I see a taxpayers revolt over the issue, and soon.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 November 2009, 12:17.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        The point is he put the teachers needs secondary to the needs of the kids
        It's a LABOR UNION it has a fiduciary responsibility to the teachers.
        Does the School Board have the kids or the tax payers as it's ultimate responsibility?

Can you name a degree requiring profession that pays less than teaching in public schools?
        Last edited by cjolley; 23 November 2009, 16:14.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

If you are going to lay blame, lay it on the right parties

If the union negotiator are able to run right over the schools, the school should get better negotiators. It its hampered by politics then you know how to fix it

And any variation of the "will somebody please think of the children" meme of argumentation should be taken out and shot
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

and while on this topic.. this site was discussed on CBC radio this morning
            World’s most popular marketplace for original educational resources

the one teacher in Canada said she made some $900 from it on the last year and has bought stuff from it too.. so much for claiming they need more prep time, as is brought up at every contract renewal, which always seem to fall at the most inconvenient time for a strike.. never during the summer
            If I got paid to produce material for work, and then went off to sell it for personal profit, I am pretty sure my company would have a thing or two to say about it, yet the teachers here seem ok with it. CBC mentioned some 200000 registered users
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post

Can you name a degree requiring profession that pays less than teaching in public schools?
              Can you name a job that only requires you to work 180 days a year? In my home state, the avg Teachers pay is $56682 a YEAR! I've been looking for a new job, and I've seen jobs requiring a CCNA and 4 year degree only paying 40K a year!

Then lets not bring up that I'm paying $3600 a year for Property taxes on a 976 Sq ft Condo to pay the teachers in my town.

I'm all about making a decent living, but at times, enough is enough. I knew a teacher who had a 3 degrees and was making 75K a year...I used to work in a School System and all the education system is about is Politics.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                If you are going to lay blame, lay it on the right parties

If the union negotiator are able to run right over the schools, the school should get better negotiators....
                Problem is the administrators are also members of the NEA and the board cow-tows to them as well because the state board is also run by the NEA. It's a huge damned scam. Period.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                  Problem is the administrators are also members of the NEA and the board cow-tows to them as well because the state board is also run by the NEA. It's a huge damned scam. Period.
                  Boy do you ever not live in Oklahoma.
                  We should swap states.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by GT98 View Post
                    Can you name a job that only requires you to work 180 days a year? In my home state, the avg Teachers pay is $56682 a YEAR! I've been looking for a new job, and I've seen jobs requiring a CCNA and 4 year degree only paying 40K a year!

Then lets not bring up that I'm paying $3600 a year for Property taxes on a 976 Sq ft Condo to pay the teachers in my town.

I'm all about making a decent living, but at times, enough is enough. I knew a teacher who had a 3 degrees and was making 75K a year...I used to work in a School System and all the education system is about is Politics.
                    You forgot to mention that teachers work 11hr/day and have to go to school in the summer to keep up their certificates.
                    $56,682 average? Wow, not here. When I was a teacher I made $11,600. That was in 1983. $12,400 in 1984. No health insurance either.

You are right about the politics though...
                    Last edited by cjolley; 24 November 2009, 21:04.
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                      You forgot to mention that teachers work 11hr/day and have to go to school in the summer to keep up their certificates.
                      $56,682 average? Wow, not here. When I was a teacher I made $11,600. That was in 1983. $12,400 in 1984. No health insurance either.
                      There are plenty of other jobs where people don't work a normal 8 hour day either and make less then a teacher and don't get paid OT. I've known several teachers and most of them work just a regular day and maybe work a couple hours on the weekend to do grading...
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98 View Post
                        There are plenty of other jobs where people don't work a normal 8 hour day either and make less then a teacher and don't get paid OT. I've known several teachers and most of them work just a regular day and maybe work a couple hours on the weekend to do grading...
                        So, your solution is to entrust your kids education to 7-11 employees?

And any teacher who only gets around to grading papers once a week is derelict.
                        Last edited by cjolley; 30 November 2009, 12:00.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Then we have a bumper crop
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Take my schedule as an example:

5 classes per day

15 students per class (average)

1 page of homework per day (average)

4 homework days per week

5x15x1x4 = 300 pages of homework to grade each week (minimum, no tests, quizes, projects, etc)

Who would set themselves up for that kind of weekend?
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

You grade homework..!?
                              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Working...
                              X