Apple voiding warranties if you are a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple voiding warranties if you are a smoker

Mr2001 writes "Consumerist reports that Apple is refusing to work on computers that have been used in smoking households. 'The Apple store called and informed me that due to the computer having been used in a house where there was smoking, [the warranty has been voided] and they refuse to work on th...

Apparently Apple has started voiding warranties on equipment where a smoker lives in the household. Saying the computers are biohazards and citing OSHA guidelines which states nicotine is a harmful substance.

So much for being #1 in customer support. Though this is far from the worse trick I've seen an OEM use to void a warranty. My favorite is when they say making any change the factory installed software will void your support contract.

But this is easily the funniest.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

A better case could be made for some premature failures being caused by tars and particulates being deposited from the tobacco smoke. Back when our middle son was a smoker the need to clean the lens on his optical drives was more than a little noticeable, sometimes requiring disassembly and the use of Q-tips and alcohol to get the brown crap off of it. Fortunately he quit.

I was really surprised at how much of that junk made it in there.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 November 2009, 07:05.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Have opened a thin and light PC that spent about a year in a cafe here until the laws changed.
      The whole PC inside was covered with tar. And the tar was holding the dust and fluff.
      There was no way we were going to be able to clean that properly, and the smell when warm was just disgusting....

Personally I smoke outside. Don't like the smell of stagnant smoke in the house....
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Same here.
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I've worked on computers from smoking households so I can understand why Apple doesn't want to work on them. Nothing as bad as EveilDead's computer. Yuck.

Comment

A lot of people buy Apple computers precisely in order to pose in trendy bars and smoking is not banned everywhere yet (smoking sections...), so this is a major setback .

Comment

Smokers with pets are the ultimate in "disgusting computers"
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Only if the pet is some near hairless twitchy road kill yap dog in a designer poop bag.

Comment

with all the their hair inside their owners computers I'd imagine they'd be rather hairless
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

the one computer I worked on with a mouse nest on top of the hard drive was pretty high up there.. a cover plate was missing in the back, and the computer was used in a warehouse.. I had to clean off mouse crap/pee from the insides, on top of making it work again
                    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Had a friend who asked me why her computer had stopped working. Switched it on and Windows didn't boot, just the CMOS with beeps, Took the cover off: the CPU heat sink was covered with a 5 year thick mat of dust, cat hairs (most of the crap) and tobacco residues, to the extent that it was touching the fan blades. The CPU was grilled. New mother board/CPU (no CPU replacement available). Showed her how to clean the heat sink, which she now does religiously every 6 months.
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Get her to stop smoking and get a Mexican Hairless puddy tat

Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I thought Mexican Hairless were woofers not miaoulers

The Mexican colleague on our UNEP committee was as bald as a coot, and very sensitive about his calvity. Needless to say how he was nicknamed, which made him furious.
                          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                          X