Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lightweight browser window

Hello,

I like to monitor a server that shows output on a website (I also interact with it via this website). I don't need full blown browser functionality (addressbar, back/forward buttons, flash, ...), just need a window that is as "clutterfree" as possible and a browser that uses as little memory as possible (the pages to be rendered is quite simple).

At the moment, I'm using Fennec. Any other/better alternatives?
    I'm using Firefox for regular browsing, but it occasionally freezes (or allocates huge amounts of memory).

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

A few lines of .net?
    FT.

Comment

Interesting thought!
      I will have to get started with .net though, but still interesting...
      pixar

Comment

IIRC one of the first tutorials puts s simple browser control on a basic form.
        FT.

Comment

I should really check it out...
          But I also came across HTML Application, which may also serve my purpose...

Guess I'll know things to do tonight...
          pixar

Comment

It looked so easy, and I couldn't wait....
            Code:
            <HEAD>
              <TITLE>my app</TITLE>
              <HTA:APPLICATION ID="oMyApp" 
                APPLICATIONNAME="my app" 
                CAPTION="yes"
                SCROLL="no"
                SHOWINTASKBAR="yes"
                SINGLEINSTANCE="no"
                SYSMENU="yes">
            </HEAD>
            <BODY leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0">
            <IFRAME SRC="http://forums.murc.ws" APPLICATION="no" WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%">
            </BODY>
            this, saved as a .hta file does more or less what I want (but with a different url)!
            (just need to tweak it a bit: icon, sizes, borders, ....)

Just one question: as it is using the Internet Explorer renderer, how efficient will it be with memory? Or do I just have to test to find out? Because the main reason to look for something lightweight was memory/cpu usage, second reason was simplified user interface.
            pixar

Comment

Working...
            X