Mallard, mmmm...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallard, mmmm...!

...Or more correctly, Mallard, is a wild duck which was the ancestor of most domestic ducks. It is less fatty, more meaty and less expensive...
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Have some in the freezer taken near here so it'll be on our menu soon. Yummy

Tonight's meal will be an 8lb cornbread-stuffed leg of lamb (de-boned, obviously) with baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli. Dessert: home made blueberry cheesecake.

Erik (11) had his first small game season this year (10 is the age limit, but he was interested this year). Next spring Erik will start training for big game season (deer, bear, elk etc.) with the Ruger .44 mag autoloading carbine (below) - one helluva deer gun for the woods and swamps. He won't be eligible for a big game license until age 12 and then only on private lands, but I want a year of practice first.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 November 2009, 07:24.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Actually, yes - a quick bread made from corn. Self made? OF COURSE!! I grew up on a farm and cornbread was a staple. Not to say that there aren't mixes (ask cjolley about Jiffy Mix) but it's so easy why?

teaspoon: 5 ml
      tablespoon: 15 ml
      cup: 237 ml

CornBread: a Native American dish that went mainstream hundreds of years ago

1 c corn meal (an unbleached coarse corn flour - usually yellow but sometimes blue (aka Aztec). Yes, corn can be blue or even orange)
      1/2 c sifted all purpose flour
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      2 large eggs
      1 c buttermilk
      2 tablespoons vegetable oil

buttered 9x9 inch (~23x23 cm) baking dish (I prefer glass). Traditionally made in a cast iron skillet.

mix wet, add dry and bake at 375F/190C for 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out dry.

serve warm topped with butter.

ADDICTIVE AS HELL
      , and make the kids their own batch or there wont be any for the adults!!

leftovers are extremely unlikely.

HushPuppies: distinctly Southern side dish going back to early 1700's New Orleans when nuns used corn flour to create "croquettes de maise". Said to have been renamed in Atlanta, Georgia.

add 1/2 c of finely diced onion to the above batter made with 3/4 c buttermilk instead if 1 c. Cooked whole kernel corn, finely diced jalapeno's or cayenne pepper to taste optional. Drop heaping 1 tablespoon balls into 375F/190C deep fryer to cook (scoop with one metal tablespoon and push into oil with another). Remove when they float to the top and are lightly browned.

Serve with fish, BBQ or whatever. Often dipped in ketchup.

Yellow

Blue

HushPuppies
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 November 2009, 21:53.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by GuchiGuh
        where's the gun doc?
        In the gun safe.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X