Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$450 US... in need of an upgrade... Athlon or CuMine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $450 US... in need of an upgrade... Athlon or CuMine?

i have $450 US to spend, and i am in need of a serious upgrade. i have heard so much jargon and pros and cons, but i haven't heard a flat out answer to what is the best for overclockability and overall system/game performance and stability. my system specs are below. i have received a tremendous amount of help in this board, and yet again, i have a question . so please, tell me what you think i should get, or your personal experiences with one or the other, or both. benchmarks would be nice too. i am just confused at the moment, and my K6-III is aging quickly... thanks!

------------------
    -Campbell "aNtHrAx323" Krueger
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    AMD K6-III 400 at 115x4.0 at 2.4V
    Asus P5A
    128 MB of PC133 SD-RAM (Athlon-grade)
    Matrox G400 AGP 32MB Dual-Head
    Diamond Sonic Impact S90 PCI
    Linksys LNE100TX WOL PCI Ethernet adapter (is this slowing my system down to a 200 on the Norton SI benchmark?!)
    Processor is a peltier/Alpha cooling combo, avg. temp is around 85 F.

the aXion gaming network
    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
    Dual Celeron 400s (week 52 i think) @ 588 @ 2.05v (air-cooled, no peltiers)
    Abit BP6 (w/ QQ BIOS and HPT366 1.22 BIOS)
    Diamond Monster Sound MX300
    3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL
    Western Digital Expert 20.5 GB ATA/66 7200 RPM drive

the aXion gaming network

If your memory is good enough...

PIII-550, Slotket, and ABIT BE6 (not BE6-II)... Depending on memory, should be able to go fairly high...

Others will suggest ASUS or MSI motherboards and Athlon processors.

Either will do what you want..

In the end, you must decide what you want and how you want to do it...

Good luck,

Guyver
    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
    - 6.1 Digital Audio
    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
    - LS120 IDE Floppy
    - Zip 100 IDE
    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
    - NEC FE950
    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Athlon 500
      Good CPU cooler
      Gigabyte GA-7IX or MSI 6167
      Golden fingers of your choice.
      Keep everything else you have.

Greebe and a few others have been able to achieve clock speeds of 700+ MHz with a simple Athlon 500, golden fingers and good cooling. The motherboard costs a bit more than a BX, but the lower cost of the chip counters the cost easily. G400 works very well in Athlon boards, too.

Jammrock

------------------
      PIII 450@504, 256 MB RAM, 35 GB total w/ WD Experts, Abit UDMA 66 controller, CL 6x DVD, PLEXTOR 8x4x32 ATAPI CD-RW (my newest toy), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, LinkSys Etherfast 10/100, DSI 56k modem, Addtronics 6896A Case w/ a crap load of fans and Dynmat noise dampening, MAG DX715T monitor.

Hi, my name is Jammrock. I'm a computer phreak and an EverCrack addict.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

don't do anything for about 1-2 mo.
        jim

you'll thank me L8R
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Mind explaining yourself Jim?

Hmmmmm?
          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Retail prices on Pentium III's were dropping steadily in anticipation of the January Intel price decrease. After the price decrease was officially announced, prices again took a nice dip. Unfortunately, supplies on PIII's were extremely low and Intel cancelled a lot of February orders.

Low price, high demand, low supply. Something has got to give. And something did. Prices on Pentium III's have actually gone up in the last week.

In the absence of supply from Intel, there is no reason for AMD to continue slashing prices as aggressively as they have in the recent past.

Intel has announced another round of price cuts to take place at the end of February. By then, hopefully, the supply of PIII's will return to normal. Prices should really drop, and AMD may very well respond in kind.

It's not the best month for buying CPU's.

Paul
            paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 05 February 2000).]

Comment

INtel chips will be in short retail suply in Febuary (they are already drying up). On Feb 27 there will be the next round of price cuts as Intel sells off it's inventory of existing CuMines in March, to make way for a new stepping in April.

Febuary is not the time to buy a new CPU

As for MoBos, I gotta say that great stable MoBos also come from AOpen. My older version AX6BC has no problems with the CuMines (unlike many newer boards from other companies), and even reports it as a 'EB' when running at 133MHZ!!! And that's at 2X AGP not forced, AGP at 89Mhz. Gotta love it!!!

Mark F.

------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
              --------------------------------------------------
              OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
              and burped out a movie

Comment

lol
                thanks
                i'm thinking about the Athlon 500, but not sure... but seriously, what's coming out in the near future? will it be worth it for the money? the Athlon is one helluva deal with all those people taking their 500s to 750 with the stock heatsink/fan combo and a goldenfinger... pretty damned good if you ask me! well, at least compared to my relatively pokey K6-III 400 @ 460...

oh yeah, and about my K6-III... how high would i be able to take it with a 72-watt+ peltier? i am using a 50-something-watt peltier right now and can get it to post at 500 (100x5.0) and at 480 (120x4.0), but only to find registry errors, and at 3.0 volts... and even then it only boots once, then it has to cool off, then i can try again. would a better peltier help? it's using an alpha sink right now...

you all have been a great help so far... i'm still a little dazed and confused
                anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
                3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL

the aXion gaming network

Comment

goto www.overclockers.co.uk

order one of their athlon 500s that they guarantee to 800 (they have already done the mods and the testing), a heatsink and the motherboard that they recommend. get it delivered and then fit the stuff. Smile at 800 mhz for what should be about 450usd.

job done

------------------
                  p3 450@600. bx6 ver 2. 128mb unbranded pc100. iwill 2930u scsi, diamond pro pci modem, advansys 1505 isa scsi, SB Live!, pioneer dvd103s, hollywood plus dvd card, plextor 40x cd rom, ricoh 1420 cdr, ibm 13.5gb @ 7200rpm, G400 @ max settings. All wrapped up in a big case with loads of fans. Belinea 10 30 40 17" monitor

1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                  Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                  Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

thanks
                    i was planning on buying one from Tom Leufkens (the peltier guy)... an Asus K7M or a MSI 6167 with a 500 @ 800 (the 650 core) for $420 with all the modifications and neccessary cooling equipment. pretty good! and an 800 costs $779 right now =)
                    anthrax32@yahoo.com

System specs:
                    3Com 3C905C PCI w/ WOL

the aXion gaming network

Comment

Working...
                    X