• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eat your pet?

Yuk, yuk, yuk!

Even worse!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Well, as an article it makes a valid point on the environmental impact of pets. In a similar article, I read that a great dane (the dog!), has about the same carbon footprint as an SUV driven averagely.

But as far as the eating is concerned: it is all but a cultural thing. Sure, eating dogs if considered "yuck!" in our regions, but when you think about it: we eat rabbits... Cute hopping creatures with long ears and fluffy tails... Or lambs...
    The environmental impact of the cows we eat is huge (the amount of energy and water that needs to be put in just to some amount of nutritional value to us); eating insects (another "yuck!" ) would be much better in that aspect: to get the same nutritional value as 1 kg of meat, you need to put in far less energy and water. Personally, I'm convinced our eating habits will change (i.e. move to insects), but to accomplish something like that needs generations before people get rid of the "yuck" feeling...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I think the reverse should be done: process dead humans into canned dog meat. No cemeteries, with the consequent waste of land and pollution (methane and contaminating ground water), or fuel consuming and air-pollution-producing crematoria.

Comment

Soylent green...?
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Brains, give me brains........
          PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
          Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
          +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

They say dog brains are particularly nutritious, but you must not overcook them

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
              Lies Lies Lies!!!
              If they want to go that way, by all means go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

The GHA for pets is a nasty twist on reality. Why? Nobody cultivates meat for pets. Pets get the rests of the meat cultivated for humans. In other words, pets eat mostly waste.
              If you don't believe it, go check information about pet food and see how much of their food is made of indigestible protein coming from bones, hides and other waste products. When they start offering real food for our pets for a sensible price, we'll talk about our pets GHA. If you fed your SUV with the grade of fuel equivalent to the common pet food, your SUV will spend more time in the garage then on the road.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                They say dog brains are particularly nutritious, but you must not overcook them
                Consuming central nervous system tissue is a good way to get nasty brain diseases that even cooking cannot get rid of since prions can survive even oven level heat. Damned things can even survive autoclaving, radiation and immersion in formalin.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 November 2009, 09:21.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Didn't you see the ? This was following ED666's message. I'm perfectly aware of prions, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                    Consuming central nervous system tissue is a good way to get nasty brain diseases that even cooking cannot get rid of since prions can survive even oven level heat. Damned things can even survive autoclaving, radiation and immersion in formalin.
                    Hrm, good to know.
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                    X