PDA

View Full Version : Anyone owns an iPhone?

Elie
13th November 2009, 20:25
I am thinking of buying one tomorrow a 3Gs in particular, and I am wondering what your experiences are with the phone.
Bells new HSPA network is extremely fast and I want to take advantage fo the speed.

Dr Mordrid
13th November 2009, 20:41
Read a statistic the other day: 60% of touch-screen phone users would not buy anther one.

I'm sure I'd fall into that group given my size 12+ hands - basically bear paws. I have trouble finding gloves to fit them even in big & tall shops :mad:

paulw
13th November 2009, 20:54
From what I've heard on Cnet reviews about this fone. It's nice to use but the wireless side of it leave allot to be desired..

I won't buy an iphone as I'm against paying the Apple tax on it plus their control freak attitude as to how you can use it even if it's unlocked..

Elie
14th November 2009, 07:30
From what I've heard on Cnet reviews about this fone. It's nice to use but the wireless side of it leave allot to be desired..

I won't buy an iphone as I'm against paying the Apple tax on it plus their control freak attitude as to how you can use it even if it's unlocked..

What kind of control are you talking about exactly?
Can you not make calls from it? Can you not load apps and use them? Can you not play music and watch videos?

What control does Apple have that limits the use of the phone?

I'm not going to use the phone to hack the department of defence or anything hehe :)

VJ
14th November 2009, 08:49
I'm also on the bubble for an iPhone 3Gs (have been for quite some time), and just can't seem to make my mind up... Main issue is that I don't like that whole unlocking stuff (dunno why), and that in Belgium they are unlocked when you buy one... but they are expensive... :)
On one hand, I'd like a nicer userinterface than my HTC (Windows Mobile), and have some similar functionality; on the other hand I'm now have 2 simcard (one for voice, one for data), so that kills the mobile data usage... The large amount of applications and general accessory support is also appealing...

Or maybe... can it connect to a bluetooth PAN?

Jörg

Jammrock
14th November 2009, 09:16
Read a statistic the other day: 60% of touch-screen phone users would not buy anther one.

I'm sure I'd fall into that group given my size 12+ hands - basically bear paws. I have trouble finding gloves to fit them even in big & tall shops :mad:

Size 12, that's it? :p

I have bear paws too and don't really have much of a problem with my Sprint Mogul (HTC PPC-6800). But I use a stylus or my fingernail more than my finger.

The newer phones are getting bigger screens and buttons, so even people with paws will be able to handle the new stuff better. The prime example being the HTC HD2 ... pretty phone :)

http://www.htc.com/www/product/hd2/overview.html

Larger screen, physically and resolution, than an iPhone, and with capacitive touch. I hope they do a slide out QWERTY version. I hate screen real estate being sucked up by virtual keyboards.

jms
14th November 2009, 09:41
I chose the 3GS over the HTC Hero recently. They seem very similar in features, but the Iphones keyboard and speed won me over. Previously only owned Sony Ericsson phones, but now I just love my Iphone! Will never go back to a "regular phone". :)

The Star walk and Cyclopedia apps are really, really cool:

http://vitotechnology.com/star-walk.html

http://www.chemicalwedding.tv/cyclopedia.html

I have quite big hands too, and struggled a little bit at the start. But then I put the phone on it's side and used the keyboard only with my thumbs (!). I can write pretty fast this way.

SitFlyer
14th November 2009, 11:40
I have one and it's biggest downfall is its inability to display any flash content. Other than that one MAJOR thing I really like it.

Chucky Cheese
14th November 2009, 11:59
I chose the 3GS over the HTC Hero recently. They seem very similar in features, but the Iphones keyboard and speed won me over. Previously only owned Sony Ericsson phones, but now I just love my Iphone! Will never go back to a "regular phone". :)

I just purchased my first touch phone yesterday...I went for the HTC Hero(..Sprint Network). Up till now I have just used "regular" cell phones as I am a "basic user". :_paranoid

The HTC Sync application doesn't work with Win 7 UE 64bit :down: , but does in Vista UE 64 bit :up:

I put a 16 GB MicroSD card in it...it works! :up:

This is basically my "learning" phone to see if I like having one(...I should have it figured out by the time my 2 year contract is up!) :devious:

cc

DentyCracker
14th November 2009, 17:54

The Star walk and Cyclopedia apps are really, really cool:

http://vitotechnology.com/star-walk.html

http://www.chemicalwedding.tv/cyclopedia.html

I have quite big hands too, and struggled a little bit at the start. But then I put the phone on it's side and used the keyboard only with my thumbs (!). I can write pretty fast this way.
Get the Xperia X10 next year then if you love SE phones

paulw
14th November 2009, 21:16
What kind of control are you talking about exactly?
Can you not make calls from it? Can you not load apps and use them? Can you not play music and watch videos?

What control does Apple have that limits the use of the phone?

I'm not going to use the phone to hack the department of defence or anything hehe :)

Down here in New Zealand all mobiles are unlocked but the iphone can only be tethered to a Vodafone SIM. Apple has verboten any other carrier SIM from being tethered even though the carrier have no problems with tethering.. Came out on the last great iphone update..

Fat Tone
15th November 2009, 10:17
I have a Toshiba TG01 (Windows Mobile 6.5). I really cannot get on with the touchscreen keyboard (even though it is 4.1") and have to use the stylus. The body doesn't have a place for the stylus so I have it tied to the microUSB port cover.

For email, I really miss my BlackBerry. In fact, apart from this phone being cheaper to run, for my usage patter there's nothing on it better than the BB.

VJ
15th November 2009, 11:47
That is - apart from the price - my only gripe: will I like the keyboard... I have a HTC TyTN, and while the keyboard isn't great, I can type quite well on it...

FT: Ever though of the Lamy twin pen IT (http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/twin_pen/647) or tri pen IT (http://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/tri_pen/747)? The latter is on my wishlist..... :)

GT98
16th November 2009, 08:03
I haven't had much luck with my Iphone 3G...I totally lost any EDGE connectivity back in Feb and got a new phone. My Wifi crapped out in September, just after my warrenty ran out. It drops calls alot (30% in the NYC area is considered normal) and well I haven't really used the iPod part of it that much or as much as I thought I was.

I'm seriously considering going back to Verizon (who I had for nearly 10 years prior to going to ATT nearly 2 summers ago) and getting the new Driod phone they came out with, it seems pretty nice and a coworker just got one so I'll be asking him how he likes it after some useage. One of the reasons I went to ATT was the coverage right where I lived was flaky with Verizon, but my friend comes over and has no issues with her handset.

Taz
16th November 2009, 14:53
From what I've read the biggest issue with the iPhone is AT&T :clown:

Looking at getting a Palm Pre at some point :classic:

Sasq
16th November 2009, 20:28
just upgraded to the 3gs from the 3g. zero problems so far.
I have pretty big paws as well, and really have no problems with the iPhone screen.
I guess I must be in that 40% who WILL buy a touch screen phone again - along with everyone else i know personally who has bought one

jms
17th November 2009, 02:02
Just go out and buy one! :D

Fluff
17th November 2009, 05:45
In reference to that 60% of tough screen phone users would not buy another one.

Could mean that a proportion of the 60% are happy with their iPhone and do not feel the need to buy another.

VJ
17th November 2009, 05:51
Or they use Windows Mobile touch screen phones... and are not happy with it... :)

paulw
17th November 2009, 21:29
Or the new Motorola Droid .

az
19th November 2009, 04:30
Typing this from my iPhone :)

Love it except for lack of flash and no inexpensive tethering on T-Mobile Germany.

So, how's life at the MURC? I'm doing great (personally, if not financially, which is merely ok) :)

Elie
19th November 2009, 07:57
So I bought a 16GB iPhone, it's good, comparing it to my Black Berry Strom it's much smoother, faster with tons of multimedia options and Aps.
E-mail and Calendar on BB is much better, with greater flexibility and options, since I have both, I'm well balanced :)

az
19th November 2009, 08:08
If you have a gmail account and want pushMail, get the gPhushed (note spelling!) app. It's 99 cents or so, and gets you push notifications for incoming gmail.

Shazam is a great free app that can identify songs if you let it listen for a few seconds.

Take me to my Car helps you remember where you parked :)

Greebe
26th December 2009, 08:56
Typing this on a Sprint Hero. Tho it can be a pita for typing @ times, it's not too bad w large hands. You must calibrate it first. What swung us to this phone is the discount Sprint offers us on a plan with an open source OS smartphone.
After dealing with Tmobile since they rolled out 3g year ago past June and the dropped calls issue I couldn't wait to switch. Have heard first hand about the complaints w iPhone/ATT Debacle, naw, I'll pass.

besides no US carrier offers an everything family plan for <$100 like Sprint :o

paulw
26th December 2009, 11:59
The problem is that in the US folks are so used to subsidized fones and 24 month plans Google is going to have an uphill battle selling unlocked and unsubsidized fones where as the rest of the world is used to paying full price for unlocked fones on prepay or open plans. Yes down here you can buy a subsidized fones on a 24 month plan but they are all unlocked but the cost of the fone is still high by US standards..

Elie
26th December 2009, 22:34
I'm glad that Bell Canada has the new HSPA network which is soooo fast and reliable it's incredible.
I'm glad we don't have ATT here, but again Rogers is the same, crappy network and slow as heck

paulw
27th December 2009, 11:53
I'm glad that Bell Canada has the new HSPA network which is soooo fast and reliable it's incredible.
I'm glad we don't have ATT here, but again Rogers is the same, crappy network and slow as heck

Telecom NZ down here did the same back in May (850Meg No GSM) sure is fast but lately reliability has not been too god in places. Vodafone has been rolling out 3G on 900Meg (GSM on 900/1800) as fast as they can to catch up and 2degrees is GSM only on 900/1800Meg. All three carriers are implementing 3G over 2100 Meg for infill city coverage..

Roll on LTE then it's all VOIP, real high speed data and SIP clients in the fone..