Kingston fast and cheap 40GB SSD for boot drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingston fast and cheap 40GB SSD for boot drive

I decided to take the plunge at £77 inc desktop adapter.

That's the last page of a thorough 14 page review. Other reviewers are equally impressed.

The idea of having one drive as a boot drive and another drive for storage is nothing new. Kingston is the first company to bring to market an SSD for this task, though, and we must say that it is an interesting solution. With the Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive available for as low as $84.99 after rebates it really might be one of the most cost-effective ways to improve any desktop’s boot, shutdown and application load times. It's not every day a low-cost upgrade solution comes to market that makes such a big performance improvement, so we can see how this SSD will breathe new life into existing desktop computers and workstations in homes and offices around the world. Kingston informed us that the $85 is for just the the standalone drive, and it's for a limited time when the drive launches. Kingston said the length of the discount has yet to set, so if you really want this drive we wouldn't wait too long after it launches on November 9th!

The drive's performance was nothing short of amazing as we were seeing sequential read speeds over 230MB/s in popular benchmarks like HDTach. The drive is rated for a sequential read speed of up to 170MB/s, so this was a nice surprise. The Achilles heel of this product would have to be its write speeds. The drive comes rated at up to 40MB/s for the sequential write speed and that is nothing earth shattering and to be honest, most hard drives can beat that. The 4K random write speeds on the other hand were the best that we have ever seen, so the write performance of the drive is either great or mediocre depending on how you look at it.

The one feature on this drive that is missing for the time period is TRIM support. For those of you that don't know, the Trim attribute of the Windows 7 ATA Data Set Management Command, often referred to as TRIM, synchs the operating system’s view of deleted files with those that are deleted, but not erased on the drive. TRIM tells the SSD which data blocks are no longer in use. This helps stabilize the performance and health of the SSD over time and is a feature only found on Windows 7. If you don't plan on using Windows 7 then this isn't a missing feature at all. If you plan on running Windows 7, then TRIM will be a key feature to help keep the Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive running at a continued high performance level. As we mentioned previously in the article, Kingston said that this feature is planned for down the road, so we can only take their word for that. Intel's TRIM supporting firmware just came out today, so hopefully Kingston's won't be too far behind.

That being said, the Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive is ideal for those looking for a quick and easy way to boost system performance. If the performance numbers alone haven't sold you, keep in mind that SSDs have no moving parts, offer greater energy efficiency and are more durable than traditional HDDs. If you are planning on upgrading to Windows 7 in the near future the Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive should be considered to go along with the new operating system. If you think about it, you can make your current hard drive the storage drive and use this as the primary boot drive. Not a bad deal and for $84.99 after rebates. This is a great SSD to get your feet wet with. The Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB Boot Drive might just be the catalyst needed to bring SSDs to the mainstream!
    Hopefully by tomorrow night my desktop machine will have a blindingly fast Windows 7 Pro installation on it.

FYI I put win 7 pro (and its games) + Office 2007 Pro and all updates on a Dell desktop for my wife. It used 14.9GB on a machine with 2GB RAM. Plenty of space for other apps, and of course I will continue to use the old HDD for data. I could always add a second in RAID at some point!
    Last edited by Fat Tone; 13 November 2009, 02:53.
    FT.

The Kingston drives are getting excellent reviews. AFAIK they are only brand to use the Intel technology other than Intel themselves.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Yeah. It's a shame their larger drives are not as fast as they would be a no-brainer.
      FT.

Comment

40GB is a bit little for full blown Win7 + Programs installation. With cached DLLs Windows directory grows fat, mine is 16.3GB, couple of GB for program files, couple for user profile and there's not much left. I can live with 100GB 7200RPM drive in my Thinkpad (my main and only workstation) but 160GB would be a minimum.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 13 November 2009, 06:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Mehen View Post
          The Kingston drives are getting excellent reviews. AFAIK they are only brand to use the Intel technology other than Intel themselves.

The Kingsotn 40GB is a rebadged Intel 80GB G2 SSD, but with half the memory chips. While this sounds cool, it cuts the data bus in half. You still get pretty good SSD performance, reads especially, but it's not true SSD performance.

Still faster than a traditional drive though.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I can finally report on performance. I got it Monday night, tried to install on Tuesday, wasted many hours (below) and now have everthing installed.

I have Windows 7 Pro, Office 2007, Business Contact Manager, MS Accounting 2009, Acrobat Reader, AVG and HDTach installed. All fully patched. All drivers were installed automatically, even my MFD printer/scanner. I have 20.6GB free of 37.1GB. HDTach shows a burst read speed of 252.7MB/s, random access of 0.1ms, 5% CPU, average read of 205.2MB/s. From power-on to logging in is 42 seconds. Desktop available within 2 seconds of completing my password. App's just 'appear' before you can start counting! The only 'fly' so far is I can't get my VPN to work yet.

As to my wasted hours: When I plugged in the SSD to a spare sata port the PC would not boot. I did all the usual stripping down to bare minimum, unplugging etc etc, googling for the error code represented by the four red/green led groups etc. I had red green green red, which is a bus init problem I think. What none of that told me was that when vacuming under my desk prior to adding the new monitor and SSD I had nudged an attached spare PS/2 keyboard that I had almost forgotten was there and a key was pressed against the skirting board...oh how I cried!!!
            FT.

Comment

Working...
            X