X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm rich! (again)

CHEVRON OIL/PETROLEUM NOTIFICATION:®

This is to inform you that you have benefited One Million United States
    Dollars($1,000,000.00)from Chevron Oil/Gas due to the two unlimited Oil Wells
    just discovered in Africa.

Do get back to me with the means you would want your funds remmited to you
    either bank to bank transfer or a certified cheque delivered to you.

(CONTACT REMITANCE DIRECTOR)

Dr Terry Froster
    EMAIL:froster.remmitance.live@live.hk
    Phone:+60175010840
    Yours Faithfully,
    Online Co-ordinator.
    At least it's not all capital letters for a change, though they still need to work on their spelling..
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

I keep missing out on such good deals...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Sad part is that literally thousands of people will actually send their account and routing numbers
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

*Gets out chequebook*......
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          Sad part is that literally thousands of people will actually send their account and routing numbers
          I think I've already asked this before (But I probably forgot ) how would that enable the scammers to get at the money??
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Because, combined with your name and address which are easy enough to get, it gives them direct access to your account. $15 to $30 to any one of a number of info peddlers and they'll know everything down to what size condom you buy (sales receipts = marketing info = total info for sale).
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

They usually ask you for a considerably (in comparison with what you'll get) fee to facilitate some things, get papers done etc. Between a few hundreds and a few thousands of dollars. Small change in comparison to what you're supposedly about to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                Because, combined with your name and address which are easy enough to get, it gives them direct access to your account. $15 to $30 to any one of a number of info peddlers and they'll know everything down to what size condom you buy (sales receipts = marketing info = total info for sale).
                Interesting, and the bank don't require you to prove your identity in any way?
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
                  Interesting, and the bank don't require you to prove your identity in any way?
                  I think there are ways to make a completely electronic transfer.
                  No physical presence necessary.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes, but still: an electronic transfer requires some identity confirmation...
                    So I also don't really how they can get more money other than the money you give them in order to "benefit" (as TransformX says)...
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                      Yes, but still: an electronic transfer requires some identity confirmation...
                      So I also don't really how they can get more money other than the money you give them in order to "benefit" (as TransformX says)...
                      That usually turns to a lot of money over time due to all sorts of problems and limitations, not to mention associated paperwork that arise with time.
                      One way to get a certain amount of potential control of your account is asking you to send them a (blank) cheque as a proof/reference to your account.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley View Post
                        I think there are ways to make a completely electronic transfer.
                        No physical presence necessary.
                        okay, I must still be misunderstanding, In Sweden, knowing the acc and who owns it (and any fact about said person) only gives you the possibility to add money to the acc.

To withdraw you need to be the acc owner and prove it (photo id at the bank, pin at the atm, etc).

Comment

When you have said person's ID/Passport information and bank cheque (because they've scanned it for you), you have a lot of useful private information in your hands.

Comment

Here's what i would like to do to these scumbags one day...

Open a dummy bank account, with the ability to deposit only, no withdraws allowed.

Request that the bank monitor every transaction on that account. request the RCMP or FBI to trace back where the request to withdraw the specific amount came from, and nail these dushes ones in for all!

Comment

In the Netherlands, ID/Passport information would not be enough. You might get away with copies of those but only, AFAICS, if sent with forms that the bank sent to your address.

Unless you forge ID/Passport etc, then the way may be clear.

In any case, ussually all transaction are secured by two-factor security: something you have, like the bank card, and something you know, the PIN code.

I'm not sure how providing the data to the spammers would allow them to reach your bank account.

The US, I believe, still have a cheque-system which is easier to defraud and I think that used to be the case with credit cards as well but that since the introduction of the crc(?) codes on the back that has been limited as well (as you'd only give that part to parties that you actually want to make a payment to and it is not printed on receipts. Not water-tight methinks but hard to deal with on the basis of emails.
                              Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Working...
                              X