Mac/VGA adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac/VGA adapter

I have an old Mac LC III monitor that I would like to hook up to an equally old 486. I have tried a straight Mac/VGA adapter but all I got was squiggles (or whatever) on the screen. I had heard of an adapter with dip switches but have not been able to find one yet and am not sure if it would work anyway. Am I on the right track here or should I just give up and put the LC III away in the closet with my C64? I really would like to have my VGA monitor only hooked up to the main computer(PIII 550, G400 MAX). The 486 is running Sygate.
    Thanks,
    Laurie
    Laurie
    ======

I have a mac-vga adapter with dip switches that came with my viewsonic monitor. I have no idea if it works. It's been years since I've touched a mac.

Comment

Hi Laurie,
      your monitor is most likely to be a fixed frequency monitor (sounds like that to me).
      Does it show text mode screens properly?

See you, Alegria

------------------
      The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
      Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
      Bob Dylan

Comment

Laurie - Unless I'm mistaken, the adapters you are referring to are made to allow use of common monitors with VGA connectors on a Mac. I have never seen one to allow use of a MAC monitor on a PC (although that doesn't mean they don't exist). I have the adapter you are talking about with the dip switches and dial selector. Again, it is only for use with PC monitors on a Mac.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies,

Nothing legible appeared on the screen using the adapter.The second compu shop I went to (the one who gave me the adapter) tried to explain the difference between old Mac monitors and VGA but I'm thick as a post when it comes to that stuff. I even looked at my old C64 monitor but it only has ?composite? connectors. I had a feeling this was a long shot. There is one more compu shop in town that might have some Mac experience so I won't give up yet.
          Thanks again,
          Laurie
          Laurie
          ======

Comment

Laurie, there might be hope.

On the the iiyama accessories site there's a picture of a MAC/VGA adaptor. You could ask for this one, as it would work on any monitor !!

(The text underneath is in Dutch, I couldn't find the same link on any of the other iiyama sites )

Jorden.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks Jorden,

Now I know what the silly thing is supposed to look like. My Dutch is a little rusty (non-existant) but I'll print the page and off I go on another hunt.

Laurie
              Laurie
              ======

Comment

<u>Damn</u>. you're good, Jord!!!

-------------------
                Holly

Comment

OOPS, I thought I'd better pop back in here before someone else does. Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but when I was showing the page to my wife I noticed that this is exactly the adapter that Brian R. was talking about. The giveaway is the direction of the screw pins on the adapter. They should be going the other way in order to screw in to the back of the case containing the VGA female connector on the vid card. Oh well, I've printed the image anyway as it gives me an idea of what these things look like with dip switches.

Thanks,
                  Laurie
                  Laurie
                  ======

Comment

If you need a gender-change adapter, I'm sure there's some at this site

You'll be looking for something like this:

Jorden.
                    -------
                    Got Nuked?? Call 911...

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 04 February 2000).]
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Holly's right !! Thanks, Jorden. I got really frustrated trying to research this problem, sorting through all the junk links using Webferret. I had best bookmark that one.

Laurie
                      Laurie
                      ======

Comment

Working...
                      X