Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh gods of Socket 7 please help me!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh gods of Socket 7 please help me!!!!!!

Spent all last night trying to install Win98SE on a AMD K6-2/400 system. Should be no problem, right? Well, 7 hours later, it's still not working. Here's the deal:

AMD K6-2/400
    Turboguide VIA MVP chipset
    Viper 550 AGP
    AWE 64
    Realtek 8029 NIC

Everything works fine, but the video card. 98SE boots fine the first time into standard VGA mode, but as soon as I install the latest Diamond drivers, or the Nvidia 2.08 Detonator
    drivers, on the subsequent reboot, it will hang at a blank screen after the 98 splash. It will boot fine on a power cycle, but doesn't load the drivers correctly. It shows a Viper 550 in the device manager, but when you go to the properties screen for the desktop, it will only allow 16bit 640x480 res. When you go to the advanced screen, sometimes half the tabs are missing, sometimes they are all there. It's just freakin' weird!!

Can anyone give me some pointers?? I've installed Viper 550's on Celeron machines and 98SE w/o any hassle. Is it the VIA chipset? or an AMD conflict??

Thanks for any advice.

Paul
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Do you a AGP driver supplied by your mobo manufactorer installed? Do that before installing drivers for your Viper.

_
    B

Comment

Go to www.viatech.com and download the 4.19 4-in-1 drivers. NOW
      C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

You could check at http://www.s3.com/customer_caretechn...Viper_V550.htm for the latest drivers and the update wizard

Jord
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Make sure the bios has allocates an irq for the video card, there is an option there saying just that, not referring to general PNP setup. This is one cause of video cards not moving from VGA mode, early SS7 bioses defaulted to it being off.

Don't install the AGP drivers until you have the NVIDIA drivers installed, it's faster that way and you can eliminate it as a culprit from the start.

Oh, and burn your diamond install CD, the drivers just arse up windows permanently, take that as a general rule across the board for all their products.

Comment

Thanks everybody.

My friend got his system working. Had to install the AGP and the IRQ Routing drivers from VIA....I swear we tried that the other night.

It doesn't help that on one of VIA's pages it says the 98se needs the AGP and IDE Busmaster drivers and on another page it says 98SE needs the AGP and the IRQ routing.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Paul
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Working...
            X