X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Tribune: "'V' aims at Obamamania"

Link....

'V' aims at Obamamania

Imagine this. At a time of political turmoil, a charismatic, telegenic new leader arrives virtually out of nowhere. He offers a message of hope and reconciliation based on compromise and promises to marshal technology for a better future that will include universal health care.

The news media swoons in admiration -- one simpering anchorman even shouts at a reporter who asks a tough question: "Why don't you show some respect?!" The public is likewise smitten, except for a few nut cases who circulate batty rumors on the Internet about the leader's origins and intentions. The leader, undismayed, offers assurances that are soothing, if also just a tiny bit condescending: "Embracing change is never easy."

So, does that sound like anyone you know? Oh, wait -- did I mention the leader is secretly a totalitarian space lizard who's come here to eat us?

Welcome to ABC's "V," the most fascinating and bound to be the most controversial new show of the fall television season. Nominally a rousing sci-fi space opera about alien invaders bent on the conquest (and digestion) of all humanity, it's also a barbed commentary on Obamamania that will infuriate the president's supporters and delight his detractors.

"We're all so quick to jump on the bandwagon," observes one character. "A ride on the bandwagon, it sounds like fun. But before we get on, let us at least make sure it is sturdy."

The bandwagon in this case is conspicuously saucer-shaped. "V" starts with the arrival of a couple of dozen ships from outer space, piloted by creatures who look like humans except a lot prettier. "Don't be frightened," says their luminously beautiful leader Anna (Morena Baccarin, "Serenity"). "We mean no harm."
    >
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

You guys are getting desperate.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Just the messenger CJ....the really desperation is in Chicago
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

"V" is all about Hope and Change
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM View Post
          "V" is all about Hope and Change
          Yep like the 2008 elections.......
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            ....the really desperation is in Chicago

Only Chicago???

Dems, incumbents get wake-up call

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

That was where the article was published, but now that you mention it the D's did get their arses handed to them on a plate, didn't they?

The 2010 congressional elections look to be very, very interesting...especially if Congress passes major legislation the people are opposed to. A 'throw the bums out' election, and them being in the majority they have more bums than the R's do.
              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 November 2009, 07:57.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

There was a congressional seat up for grabs yesterday.
                The Republicans had held it for 150 years and lost it.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

The NY-23 case was an outlier. The NY Republican party didn't have a primary to choose their candidate, unlike the majority of the rest of the states, so she was chosen by committee.

I'm not sure if this is because of statute or not, but it ended up with a candidate the voters rejected even before the statements by party leaders or the election because her contributions and support tailed off badly.

The national leadership that supported the Conservative candidate (they are a 3rd party in NY, not an aberration of this election) acted correctly since 1) the gal was was a RINO (Republican in name only who would vote Dem once in office) and 2) ended up supporting the Dem candidate after she dropped out. She also did 'push' calls in favor of the Dem., confirming her as either an opportunist or a mole.

Problem was her name was still on the ballot and split the Republican vote. This is why the Dem who won got under 50%, a minority "winner" who very likely won't be there after 2010 - this being a special election to fill a slot 'til next November. I think it's safe to say that next time, if legal under NY law, the Republicans will have a primary before election day and try to bring the Conservative party into synch.
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by ND66 View Post

The whole tying of the VA and NJ elections to Obama is a bit far fetched...Corzine was already unpopular here in NJ and didn't fix any of the issues that we have in the State when he was in power. 60% of people polled said Obama had nothing to do with the way they voted yesterday in my state either. Obama will get tossed out/reelected on whatever he does over the next three years, not just because he a democrat
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

60% of those sampled in the exit poll, which could well be slanted by the "I wont say anything bad about a black politician lest I be considered racist" scenario, AKA the Bradley Effect. A known problem among pollsters witih the bottom line being those polled lie in face to face interactions like exit polls. On the other hand when asked about policies the same exit poll sample said their concerns were the overspending by the govt. etc. etc., all of which point back to Obama and Congress. It's a forn of social desirability bias.
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 November 2009, 15:58.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The two Republicans who won avoided wing nuttery and stuck to bread and butter.
                        The one who went the for the Palin vote lost.
                        Learn the lesson at your party's peril.

PS An alternate explanation of the shrinking of the self identified left and growing of the center is that peoples perception of the definition of left and center has changed.
                        Republicans should pay no attention to this and swing for the fence. Please.
                        Last edited by cjolley; 4 November 2009, 18:18.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

More than 2 Dems won in Virginia alone....

The margins for the top 3 offices in Virginia, all won by Republicans, averaged 57.53% - 42.37%, an average margin of over 15 points which easily qualifies as a landslide, plus Republicans took 2/3 of the seats up in the legislature. Trying to spin this any other way is just plain disingenuous.

Governor: 58.65% to 41.22% (rest write ins)
                          Lt. Governor: 56.41% to 43.5% (rest write ins)
                          Attorney General: 57.53% to 42.38% (rest write ins)
                          State Assembly: Republicans won 10 of 15 seats

Here in Michigan there was one State Senate seat up and a Republican won that district from an incumbent Dem, and with a 61-35 margin in a Dem leaning district at that.

Quoth the losing Dem: “What can I say? It’s a Republican year. The Obama euphoria is over,”

Well stated.
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 November 2009, 18:52.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                            Quoth the losing Dem: “What can I say? It’s a Republican year. The Obama euphoria is over,”

Well stated.
                            I'll say.
                            Obama is pragmatic and VERY intelligent.
                            Just the sort of non-ideologue I vote for.
                            I would like to invite Republicans to keep believing their own propaganda about him.

PS Virginia voted for Republicans!?
                            I'm shocked! Shocked I say!
                            Last edited by cjolley; 4 November 2009, 19:12.
                            Chuck
                            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Michelle Bernard, president & CEO of the Independent Women’s Forum, had an interesting take today in The Hill (paper that covers Congress). I do find it entertaining that she starts off saying it wasn't a referendum on Obama, but in the next paragraph says the voters are ready to punish those who follow his lead. Gotta chant the MSM mantra before telling the truth I guess

The election last night wasn't a referendum on President Obama, but it certainly shows that 2008 wasn't a permanent political realignment. We learned that President Obama's popularity doesn't carry over to every member of his party, and Republicans who run smart campaigns and focus on the issues people care about can not just beat, but can trounce, Democrats in swing states.

Political analysts will comb through the polling and exit data to assess what groups swung the furthest from the Democrat to the Republican column, but it is clear that many of those who had supported President Obama are not happy with how Washington is working today and are ready to punish candidates who are following his lead.

This will have effects not just on next year's election, but on the decisions that Representatives have to make today. Wise conservative and moderate Democrats should consider listening more to their constituents, instead of liberal Congressional leaders. Especially on the hot-button issue of health care, they will find that many—including many self-identified Democrats and Independents—don't agree with the direction Democrats are heading.

Take this recent poll by the Independent Women's Forum on women's attitudes toward health care reform. Only 16 percent of women surveyed think health care should be Congress's top priority, just 10 percent are comfortable with a trillion dollar price tag, and 75 percent want little or no change to their own health care.

Are Members of Congress paying attention? They should, because voters certainly are.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X