So I guess I need a new scanner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I guess I need a new scanner.

I have an ancient Canon FB620U scanner, and it works great, but unfortunately, there are no Linux and/or Windows 7 drivers for it.

I'd like a new scanner that is a little better than my old one. My requirements are:

-Flatbed
    -Color
    -Decent resolution
    -Reliable
    -Large enough to scan a legal sheet, but other than that, as small as possible.
    -Works well with both Linux (kubuntu) and Windows 7
    -Under $100 (preferably around $50 if possible)

I have no idea what I'm even looking at in terms of scanners anymore (it's been 11 years since I purchased this one), so feel free to educate me.

Only thing I can tell you is that failure rate on HP scanners and MFPs the company I worked for sold was extreme.

Comment

I'm a fan of Canon all-in-ones these days. Takes up less space than 'separates' and have some phenomenal features. Usually on the A-lists, although to be fair their scanners aren't always their best feature in the reviews but I've no complaints. I currently have an MP600 which has been superceded a few times. When I replace this I'll get one of their wireless models.
      FT.

Comment

My parents recently got a Samsung all-in-one with scanner, fax and colour laser. Pricewise it can't be beat, and while we don't have it that long, it seems like a decent enough device. This is the one they have:

(but type numbers are different here)

I still have my trusty Agfa scanner, which connects via a 25 pin SCSI port...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Wireless scanners, eh? Interesting.

I'm not interested in an all-in-one, as I have a Color LaserJet printer with a built in print server that I'm not planning on replacing for eons.

Comment

Both of these have Windows 7 Support, but don't appear to have Linux support.

Canon CanoScan LiDE 100 and 200:

Last edited by Kooldino; 27 October 2009, 06:14.

Comment

I got an Epson back in June to replace my ancient UMAX scanner which I got back in 1996...

The Epson Perfection V300 Photo is only 89.99 with free shipping right now.

Works with WIN7 but only does 8.5 x 11.7 sized paper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16838110023
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X