Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ghost In The Shell 3D" (2011)

It finally got the go-ahead!!

Sooo....who do you think should play The Major and Batô?

Ghost in the Shell

Release: 2011

Studio: DreamWorks/Seaside (Seaside is owned by Avi Arad, CEO of Marvel Studios and their Exec. Producer)

Budget: HUGE

Format: 3D live action

Director: in negotiations

Producer: Avi Arad (Spider-Man series; X-Men series, Iron Man) - (Coming: Avengers, Nick Fury, Dr. Strange, Deathlok, Venom)

Writer: Laeta Kalogridis (Birds of Prey TV, Bionic Woman TV) - (Coming: Battle Angel for James Cameron, Shutter Island for Martin Scorsese)

Synopsis: The world has become intensively information oriented and humans are connected to the network through brain implants. Criminals hack into the interactive network and even the cyber-brains of individuals. To prevent this Section 9 is formed.

Cast: casting in progress & hush-hush
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 October 2009, 01:40.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I assume it will get Americanized so it will not be in Asia. My picks are Kate Beckinsale as a dark brunette version of the Major and for Bato... good old Dolph Lungrin has the right look, but I don't know that he can pull off the acting.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
      I assume it will get Americanized so it will not be in Asia. My picks are Kate Beckinsale as a dark brunette version of the Major and for Bato... good old Dolph Lungrin has the right look, but I don't know that he can pull off the acting.
      Gotta go with Ron Perlman.

Kevin

Comment

I hear it'll be set in Japan, so Kate may be out of place. Personally I think Kelly Hu (DeathstrIke in X2) would be dynamite

Lundgrin is still acting but I found a few tidbits about him when looking up his recent activities.

First; he was offered a Fulbright Scholarship at MIT but turned it down

Second; he has a Masters in chemical engineering from the University of Sydney, NSW

Third; he was team leader for the United States Modern Pentathlon team at the 1996 Summer Olympics.

Not the dumb hulk some took him to be.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 October 2009, 11:18.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'd say maybe Mickey Rorke but he's too old for the role.
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

"Hara Kiri" ...Aïïïïiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii .

Have they nothing better to do ?

I'm glad I have the two Animé originals....The Music is just gorgeous.
            Kenji Kawaï i think.....
            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

My first guess for The Major was Kelly Hu (DeathStrike in X2) because she has the look; built like a brick s***house, and is a decent actress. OTOH she's over 40 which could be troublesome for extended sequels, say if they pursued the GITS - Stand Alone Complex storyline. Then again Asian/Eurasian actresses seem to look 25-30 forever

Devon Aoki (with some gym time)? Maybe not - voice too high.

Kristin Kreuk (Lana in Smallville)? Half Chinese/half Dutch and it's obvious in some photos she has had makeup to make her look less Asian in Smallville.

Who ever plays Batô needs to be able to pull off the tough guy on steroids while coming off as very smart, but he doesn't really have to be/look Japanese. Why? The creators state he was based on Steven Seagal, so a Caucasian or Eurasian should be OK.

For non-Asian take your pick.

For Asian how about John Cho (Hikaru Sulu in Star Trek)? He's tall at 5'10" plus so lifts could get him close to 6' and he could likely bulk up considerably.
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                Gotta go with Ron Perlman.

Kevin

I thought of Perlman but he doesn't have the philosophical edge that Bato needs (or should have). That's why I picked Lundgrin. He has the look and the smarts (as Doc pointed out), but his acting has always been... eh?

Kelly Hu is hot, but her acting has never been leading lady strong.

I thought of Lucy Lu but I think she has the same problem. She can pull it off some of the time, but not frequently enough.

Kristin Kreuk might be a good choice, but I've never watched enough Smallville to know whether she is a strong enough actor.

Comment

I thought of Perlman but he doesn't have the philosophical edge that Bato needs (or should have). That's why I picked Lundgrin. He has the look and the smarts (as Doc pointed out), but his acting has always been... eh?
                  Dude, they're actors. They have whatever philosophical edge the writer gives them.

Perlman may not win any Oscars, but he's a Hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Kevin

Comment

I'd also vote for Ron Perlman and after Aeon Flux, I'd love to see Charlize Theron there as Major Kusanagi.
                    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

From what I remember of Ghost in Shell, the Major really didn't look that Asian to me, so that opens the door up to alot more actresses
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                        Dude, they're actors. They have whatever philosophical edge the writer gives them.

Perlman may not win any Oscars, but he's a Hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Kevin

I agree he's very fun to watch, but I just don't see him as Bato.

Comment

If you add Ron Perlman to any movie it instantly becomes twice as good.
                          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Can't argue with that. I was impressed with his work in "Beauty and the Beast" and my opinion hasn't changed much since. Sons of Anarchy is just great. Even more impressive for Hollyweird these days is that he's been married to his wife Opel since 1981
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 October 2009, 21:39.
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                            X