X-37B near flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-37B near flight

X-37B is one of the projects where Scaled Composites has been doing captive carry and drop tests using SS1's White Knight mothership.

A resuable military spaceplane she is, with all the implications that ensues. Yes, it has commercial possibilities but the USAF wouldn't be involved without the military mission possibility. What mission? Rapid recon for one, but a weaponized version is IMO not to be discounted - recently weaponized lasers, microwave etc. would give a standoff kill capability vs. other spacecraft. Just 3 weeks ago a laser-equipped Spooky gunship vaporized an SUV's hood, entire engine and glassed the ground underneath from 30,000 feet. In space the range of such a weapon would be quite far. The Spooky test was a compact chemical laser, but compact electrically pumped solid state lasers with over 100kW of power are only 2-3 years out. Microwave weapons are further along.

Images of the X-37B below...

Air Force's Secretive Space Plane Nears Maiden Voyage

You would think that an unpiloted space plane built to rocket spaceward from Florida atop an Atlas booster, circle the planet for an extended time, then land on autopilot on a California runway would be big news. But for the U.S. Air Force X-37B project — seemingly, mum's the word.

There is an air of vagueness regarding next year's Atlas Evolved Expendable launch of the unpiloted, reusable military space plane. The X-37B will be cocooned within the Atlas rocket's launch shroud — a ride that's far from cheap.

While the launch range approval is still forthcoming, SPACE.com has learned that the U.S. Air Force has the X-37B manifested for an April 2010 liftoff.

As a mini-space plane, this Boeing Phantom Works craft has been under development for years. Several agencies have been involved in the effort, NASA as well as the Defense Advanced Projects Research Agency (DARPA) and various arms of the U.S. Air Force.

Tight-lipped factor

The tight-lipped factor surrounding the space plane, its mission, and who is in charge is curious. Such a hush-hush factor seems to mimic in pattern that mystery communications spacecraft lofted last month aboard an Atlas 5 rocket, simply called PAN. Its assignment and what agency owns it remains undisclosed.

But in a brief burst of light eking from the new era of government transparency, I did score this comment from NASA.

While the program is now under the U.S. Air Force, NASA is looking forward to receiving data from the advanced technology work.

"NASA has a long history of involvement with the X-37 program. We continue to monitor and share information on technology developments," said Gary Wentz, chief engineer Science and Missions Systems Office at the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center. "We are looking forward to a successful first flight and to receiving data from some advanced technologies of interest to us, such as thermal protection systems, guidance, navigation and control, and materials for autonomous re-entry and landing."

The vehicle itself is about 29 feet long with a roughly 15-foot wingspan and weighs in at over five tons at liftoff. Speeding down from space, the craft would likely make use of Runway 12/30 — 15,000 feet long by 200 feet wide — at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

Vandenberg serves as an emergency space shuttle landing strip, as a second backup after California's Edwards Air Force Base – which has also been noted as a landing spot for the X-37B.
    >
    >
    WhiteKnight test of X-37B (carry/drop/land)

Internals

On-orbit concept

On-orbit configuration
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 October 2009, 11:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

UAV in space ? but PAN ? Pan was a God of Nature in Greek mythology (from Wiki)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(god)
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

A UAV in space it is - and it would have global reach for its missions.

PAN =an acronym that is yet to be defined. Leaks indicate it's a turnkey satellite platform that can be configured to whatever purpose the govt. needs from comms to intel to ????. If so that would mean rapid deployment using a standard chassis and data system on standard EELV launchers; Atlas V, Delta IV or Falcon 9.

The USAF has a lot of interest in SpaceX's Falcon 9 for this kind of mission because of its rapid integration and 1 hour rollout-to-launch capabilities. It also doesn't depend on Russian engines like Atlas V (the RD-180). SpaceX makes their Merlin engines on a production line in California and is rapidly approaching being the largest builder of rocket engines in the world.

PAN launch story....
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 October 2009, 08:14.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I would probably go with the ?????
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Working...
        X