X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Tundra/Tacoma: frame rust

US News & World Report article....

Toyota Tundra Investigated For Severe Frame Rust Problems

If you own a Toyota Tundra, you may want to peek underneath it every now and then. Federal auto safety investigators are reportedly looking into a series of complaints that allege premature frame rust so severe it could lead to brake failure.

The Detroit Free Press reports, "The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it's looking into 20 complaints on model-year 2000 and 2001 Tundra pickups alleging broken brake lines and spare tires that came loose. The inquiry covers about 218,000 vehicles."

Edmunds Inside Line adds, "There have been 15 reports alleging the underbody-mounted spare tire separated from the rear crossmember, and five reports alleging broken brake lines at the proportioning valve located on the driver side of the rear crossmember at the upper shock mount." NHTSA documentation says "There are no crashes, fires, injury incidents or deaths related to the Tundra investigation."

The problem is a familiar one for Toyota truck owners. Autoblog reports that Tundra frame rust complaints have "lit up owner forums for years." The problem has occurred in other Toyota truck models as well. The company "extended the rust warranty of 1995-2000 Tacoma trucks" after similar complaints earlier this year, and "has even offered to buy back the trucks in 20 cold weather states at 1.5 times their Kelley Blue Book values. 2001 to 2004 Tacomas are already eligible for supplemental corrosion protection and replacement frames if necessary, but Toyota will not buy the newer trucks back."

In fact, Autoblog notes, the same supplier built the potentially-defective Tundra and Tacoma frames, "so we're thinking a similar issue could be a real possibility."
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 October 2009, 06:01.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

My father-in-law has a Tundra from around then. I forwarded it on. Not as severe an issue as the gas tank outside the frame issue Chevy had a while back, but still potentially deadly if the rust weakens the frame integrity.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You mean the same gas tank issue that Dateline NBC demoed with ignitors under the frame to light the spilling gas to "demonstrate" how dangerous the design was?

Comment

Or the time Consumer Reports clouldn't get a Jeep to tip over so they put a long, weighted lever on to make sure it tipped on their video?
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's been an issue for a while, some so bad that the frame is so rusted that the steering rack has nothing to bolt up to. People were forced to park them for safety reasons. Toyota at least had the decency to buy the vehicle back regardless of mileage.
          They also had isses with tailgates buckling at the seams if you put more than 300lbs on them.
          Their trucks are nowhere the build quality of their cars, with most domestics being much better in quality and reliabilty (and less expensive to boot).
          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
          X