Do any of you have download caps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do any of you have download caps?

Here in Canada, at least in the Greater Toronto Area, all our internet providers seems to already have switched to a capped download system, or will be soon. most internet packages have a certain amount of transfers included, with big overage fees, if you go over.

The standard packages come with around 60GB/month, which does not roll over to the next month, if unused. On top of that, they throttle data they don't like, e.g. torrents, to the point of making them useless. How is everyone else here doing for internet caps?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

I am on an old package from Bell and there are no caps, but they don't offer that package anymore. I refuse to change so I will stay on the current package for as long as it takes.

I don't mind them throttling Torrents, people think bandwidth is free and everyone should abuse it, at least it's controlled that way.

Comment

100GB cap for me. I doubt I ever go much above 60-80GB and usually lower, but a higher cap would be nice. Not throttling as of yet.

That is with Shaw Xtreme-I 15/1mbps with speed burst (I get closer to 25mbps for short periods of time).
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

No real caps here.
        They'll just send you a few letters and cut yer Internets off
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

With Shaw in Vancouver. Extreme I (up to 15 mb) with 100 gig/month cap and the joys of being throttled and never coming close to my supposed speed.

Comment

No caps here in Slovenia.

Comment

All subscriptions are capped here... The basic ones at 5 GB, the bigger ones at 60 GB or so.

I had a 3G subscription, which was capped at 2 GB.
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

From what i've been hearing, The ISP's would love to do the same as with Satelite and Cable TV, sell subscriptions to a 'bouquet' of 'channels'.

So basically, you would pay for access to a certain 'bouquet' of authorized sites, and if you wanted to access something outside of your 'bouquet' you would have to pay extra.

They seem to think it would kill piracy, and illegal activity on the Internet almost completely.
                Basically, because the Internet would no longer be open, but a closed set of sites, controlled by 'someone'.
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I technically have a 50GB down and 30GB up cap. It's not really a cap per say, if you break the limit they charge you for the next package up that month, which has like a 100GB down and 60GB up cap. But I've borken the 50GB down cap a few times and have never been charged extra.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

AT&T here and no cap.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

so it seems that download caps are becoming the new norm everywhere.. I guess services like netflix/apple tv would have a hard time becoming mainstream, if people will go over their maximum allowable downloads just watching a few blu rays a month
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Becoming...?
                        It always has been the case here, now the caps are finally increasing!
                        pixar
                        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

No cap on Virgin Media, just throttling if you go over a threshold during peak hours. Cap removed on premium package.

I find it quite fair to be honest.

Is their policy.

Comment

Here in New Zealand (Orcon ISP) I have a 30 Gig cap. Went over by 2 Gig last month. They charge about $2 / Gig over..
                            paulw

Comment

AFAIK my internet connection isn't capped (at least the contract doesn't mention anything like that). On the other hand I've to say that I don't download or uploads lots of stuff so even if there was a cap I maybe wouldn't notice it

Well, a max. download speed of 3.000 kbit/sec kinda isn't really kicking for big downloads or uploads

Jörg
                              Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

Working...
                              X