"bright lights" and "loud noises"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "bright lights" and "loud noises"

Sounds like SpaceX will be testing the Falcon9 - Flight 1 first stage this week at their McGregor, Texas test site.

The last time they tested this configuration it shook doors, rattled (and often broke) windows, and all but bounced babies out of their cribs for a radius of 40-50 miles (there was a thermal inversion over the area that trapped the pressure waves).

"bright lights" and "loud noises" indeed

Link....

SpaceX testing rocket engines this week

By Zlatko Filipovic

MCGREGOR - The Space Exploration Technologies Corporation, also known as Space X, will be testing their products sometime during the week of October 5th.

Their testing site is in McGregor, about 20 miles southwest of Waco.

They advise the public to stay calm during the testing which may involve bright lights in the sky and loud noises.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 October 2009, 12:38.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Going along with the above....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Emily Shanklin | Director, Marketing and Communications

media@SpaceX.com

SpaceX Announces Completion of Acceptance Testing for Falcon 9 First and Second Stages

Both Stages Headed To Cape Canaveral Next Month in Preparation for Launch

McGregor, Texas (October 5, 2009) – Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX) announces the successful completion of acceptance testing of both the Falcon 9 first and second stages in preparation for the first flight of Falcon 9. Acceptance testing took place at SpaceX’s Texas Test Site, a 300-acre structural and propulsion testing facility, located just outside of Waco, Texas.

This recent series of tests subjected both stages to a variety of structural load and proof pressure tests to verify acceptability for flight. Acceptance testing began in late summer with the first stage and concluded last week at SpaceX’s Texas facility with completion of acceptance testing for the second stage.

“The successful completion of these tests marks another key milestone in our preparation for Falcon 9’s first flight,” said Elon Musk, CEO and CTO of SpaceX. “Our team will now move forward with a static fire of the first and second stages, the last major milestone before hardware is transferred to SpaceX’s launch pad at Cape Canaveral.”

The inaugural flight of Falcon 9 is a demonstration flight, and is expected to occur one to three months after Falcon 9 arrival at Cape Canaveral next month. The final launch date will depend on range scheduling, weather conditions and time required to make adjustments for any vehicle-to-ground equipment interactions. For its first flight, Falcon 9 will launch a Dragon spacecraft qualification unit into orbit to provide SpaceX with valuable aerodynamic and performance information.

The second flight of the Falcon 9/Dragon system is the first flight under NASA’s Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program, a new commercial-government partnership under which SpaceX will demonstrate the ability to dock with the International Space Station, transfer cargo, and return cargo safely to Earth.

A Falcon 9 second stage mounted on a Falcon 9 interstage vents vapor from its liquid oxygen tank
    during acceptance testing at SpaceX's Texas Test Site outside of Waco.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 October 2009, 21:40.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Looks like the Falcon 9's 10 second 1st stage test took place Monday and they're ramping up to the 30 second test sometime today (Thursday Oct 15). Working towards a full flight length 3 minute burn of the 1st stage and the tests of the 2nd stage before it ships to the cape for launch.

From here on in the local babies will be bouncing in their cribs like jumping beans

Link....

Waco news briefs for Thu., Oct. 15

Thursday, October 15, 2009

SpaceX, which tests rockets in McGregor, will conduct a second test of its Falcon 9 nine-engine rocket cluster sometime today.

SpaceX said in a statement that the 30-second test should produce about the same level of noise as a successful 10-second test Monday.

For more information, visit http://www.spacex.com.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 October 2009, 00:52.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

All that's left is to test the 2nd stage then they can start integrating the vehicle at the pad. They look to be ahead of schedule.

SpaceX Carries Out Final Rocket Engine Test

Some Central Texas residents heard the rumble Friday as SpaceX tested a nine-engine rocket cluster at its facility in McGregor west of Waco.

MCGREGOR (October 16, 2009)—SpaceX conducted a 30-second test of its Falcon 9 nine-engine rocket cluster Friday at its facility in McGregor west of Waco,

It was the second of two test-firings and it marks the completion of the final technical verification of the Falcon 9’s first stage before the rocket’s inaugural flight, SpaceX said Friday evening.
        Discount Floors Superstore

The first stage now will be shipped to Cape Canaveral in preparation for the first launch of the Falcon 9, which, along with the company’s Dragon spacecraft, will supply the International Space Station after NASA ends the shuttle program.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 October 2009, 16:30.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X