X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VASIMR: full power

The VX-200 has achieved full 200kW operation

Ad Astra link....

The VF-200-1 flight unit destined for re-boost duty at the ISS will have two cores, each operating at 50% giving a large safety margin and surge capability.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

MIT's Technology Review has a new interview with former astronaut Franklin Chang-Diaz, VASIMR's inventor, and news that they re in talks to launch the VF-200-1 to the ISS in October 2013.

TechReview.....

>
    TR: What is the next step in development of the engine?

FCD: The next step is to actually build the flight unit, which will be ready to launch October 2013. We will install it on the ISS and test it there. After the test is finished, we will use it commercially to reboost the space station [to a higher altitude] to provide the drag compensation. [Currently the ISS requires periodic boosts to get it to the right orbit for space shuttle or Progress dockings.]

TR: Do you have a vehicle for the system after the ISS work?

FCD: We are already in discussions with SpaceX and Orbital Sciences, the two companies that already have access to the space station [through contracts with NASA], so we can develop the interface in either one of those vehicles. We will make a decision, selecting one of those two probably at the end of next year.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
    X