Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Did the Polanski Petition All Those Directors Signed Actually Say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Did the Polanski Petition All Those Directors Signed Actually Say?

The annotated version

( I think it's a serous subject, but the petition... not so much.)

My favorite: "A film festival, in other words, is like base in tag."

A petition has been circulated on behalf of Roman Polanski—henceforth, to my mind, "RoPo"—and signed by A-list movie directors (Pedro Almodovar, Wes Anderson, Martin Scorsese, Wong Kar Wai, David Lynch). Here it is, briefly annotated:

We have learned the astonishing news of Roman Polanski's arrest by the Swiss police on September 26th, upon arrival in Zurich (Switzerland) while on his way to a film festival where he was due to receive an award for his career in filmmaking.

[We the undersigned constitute a special class of persons. We are both intensely sensitive and intensely well-connected. If we worked with, partied with, and celebrated the film director Roman Polanski, it cannot be that he is guilty of anything meaningful. Our astonishment constitutes prima facie evidence of the unjustness of his being unceremoniously nabbed—and on his way to a lifetime achievement ceremony!]

His arrest follows an American arrest warrant dating from 1978 against the filmmaker, in a case of morals.

[A "case," mind you—a still-open state of affairs, not a conviction, in which guilt has been established and admitted to. "Of morals"—oh, those American prudes!]

Filmmakers in France, in Europe, in the United States and around the world are dismayed by this decision. It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary filmmakers, is used by the police to apprehend him.

[A film festival, in other words, is like base in tag.]

By their extraterritorial nature, film festivals the world over have always permitted works to be shown and for filmmakers to present them freely and safely, even when certain States opposed this.

[The right to freedom of expression for artists in the face of totalitarian interference should be extended to include asylum for convicted criminals in free countries; for example, if Klaus Barbie showed up for a screening of Hôtel Terminus we would offer him a seat and peace of mind.]

The arrest of Roman Polanski in a neutral country, where he assumed he could travel without hindrance, undermines this tradition: it opens the way for actions of which no one can know the effects.

[Roman always traveled freely in Switzerland—party in Gstaad!—therefore he should always be allowed to travel freely in Switzerland.]

Roman Polanski is a French citizen, a renown and international artist now facing extradition. This extradition, if it takes place, will be heavy in consequences and will take away his freedom.

[You mean, like, jail?]

Filmmakers, actors, producers and technicians—everyone involved in international filmmaking—want him to know that he has their support and friendship.

[In the name of freedom of conscience we speak with one voice, no exceptions, especially the technicians.]

On September 16th, 2009, Mr. Charles Rivkin, the US Ambassador to France, received French artists and intellectuals at the embassy. He presented to them the new Minister Counselor for Public Affairs at the embassy, Ms Judith Baroody. In perfect French she lauded the Franco-American friendship and recommended the development of cultural relations between our two countries.
    If only in the name of this friendship between our two countries, we demand the immediate release of Roman Polanski.

[Do you see now what an abomination this is? The woman spoke perfect French. Permettez-moi de le répéter: Français. Parfait. Subjunctive and everything. (The grubs of California officialdom—do they even speak perfect English?) We demand the immediate release of Roman Polanski, or else you risk affirming that justice truly is blind.]
    Last edited by cjolley; 4 October 2009, 12:40.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

I don't care what his movie credentials are.
    I don't care what kind of 'artist' he is.
    I don't care if the warrant is 30+ years old.
    If he did what he is accused of, he should be made accountable, regaurdless of where he is arrested.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Originally posted by Kruzin View Post
      If he did what he is accused of, he should be made accountable, regaurdless of where he is arrested.
      There is no if. He plead guilty. He had a deal to get off with a slap on the wrist but fled the country because he feared the judge was not going to honor the plea bargain.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

As we used to say when I was a kid: The sound you here is the world's tinest violin playing in sympathy for him.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

TOTALLY agree. The guy is a slime who got a young girl drunk then raped and sodomized her. Next he pleads guilty then when he's to be sentenced he skips for 30 years.

I'd give him 3 choices;

1) the woodchipper, feet first

2) public castration and 20 years in the hole

3) 20 years rooming with Bubba the Greek

Do not pass Go....

And what's this crap about Angelica Houston being in the house, seeing the girl in the room in the middle of the events and not clubbing Polanski with a chair then taking her to the cop shop? WTF ??!!??
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Supposing he is extradited, I presume there will be some kind of hearing in CA when he arrives there. This guy is what? 76 or thereabouts? He has plea bargained some 30 years ago, admitting guilt to at least one charge. Then I presume he skipped bail, as he buggered off outside the US before sentencing. How about 6 months clink for the sexual charge and 30 years in a high security prison, without parole, for skipping bail/parole and the consequent contempt of court? That would satisfy me! He can go free at 106!

I would even allow him special privileges of a camera while in clink; he can make a graphic film of real life in prison, including the violence, the sodomy, the graft, the corruption, life in solitary etc, with RP as Director, Producer, cameraman, main actor and editor, so that others can see what happens to scumbags. Something that would make Prison Break look like Butlin's Holiday Camp.

PS As an explanation, Gstaad is in the Canton of Berne; Zurich, strangely, is in the Canton of Zurich. Each canton has its own independent police force and it is possible that the Zurich police are more rigourous than the Bernese, especially with a free-spending taxpayer (at least property tax) of a de luxe chalet, as Zurich would have no financial incentive. Strange as it may seem, money talks in Switzerland and it's just possible that RP funded the police ball each year.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

One can say that it is strange they didn't arrest him earlier (it is not like he was living under a rock)...

But it can't the be that the moral of the story would be: if you want to get away with it, become a celebrity movie director...
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
              X