Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My kids have some hard labour ahead of them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My kids have some hard labour ahead of them.

This *used to be* a Dell Vostro WUXGA screen

They are starting with immaculate bedrooms and moving on to our cars...that'll be about 5%.

Fortunately no data lost. I have a replacement screen on the way, hopefully I can install it without too much pain.
    FT.

OUCH.
    I'd be expecting every inch of the house to be spotless to the floorboards for at least 6 months.
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

May I ask what happened?
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Edit: A fight, knocked it backwards off a low table about 18" onto a carpeted floor, the table then landed on the screen.
        Last edited by Fat Tone; 27 September 2009, 10:05. Reason: Edit: found out what really hapenned.
        FT.

Comment

Well done.

I've swapped out a few of those laptop lcd screens. It's not TOO much of a hassle. Depending on where you get the replacement it can be an EXPENSIVE hassle.

Kevin

Comment

£89 delivered for a WUXGA 1920*1200 didn't seem too bad.The laptop is definitely worth spending the money on.
            FT.

Comment

The kid would die....or wish they had
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                £89 delivered for a WUXGA 1920*1200 didn't seem too bad.The laptop is definitely worth spending the money on.
                Yeah, that sounds about right, factoring in the exchange rate. Be prepared to swap out some mounting brackets, though (some are easier than others).

Kevin

Comment

Thanks I'll watch out for that. Do they break when you dismantle? This machine has always had a very stiff lid.
                  FT.

Comment

Some Dell models are easier to dismantle than others. A quick google for Dell Vostro disassembly found this. This probably isn't your model but there should be good instructions out there.

Kevin

Comment

I should add that often the instructions don't include lid disassembly. There are usually small adhesive pads covering screws that hold the lid sections together, then small plastic tabs around the edges that you might have to work free with a thin metal blade. Also watch out for double-stick tape around the perimeter of the screen. Go slowly and carefully and you shouldn't have any problems.

Kevin
                      Last edited by KRSESQ; 27 September 2009, 12:29.

Comment

Dell's are nice to change screens on, HP's are EVIL
                        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yeah,

My (at the time 2 year old) decided that the right way to get the TV to change the channel because he pushed the wrong button on the remote was to hit the TV with the remote. My wife had stepped into the shower for 5 minutes... and this is what she came out to find.

Afterwards, he kept on saying he couldn't get it off the screen.

All three of my boys were not happy to watch that. We made them watch it for a month before the screen went black. We told them, we couldn't replace it for several months because we had to save up for the replacement. I wasn't too mad as I had only spent $120 on the tv. But we spent an additional ~$150-200 on a protector for the TV we got to replace it.

Comment

Ouch! Bet the fight calmed down pretty quick and the air started smelling of rosebeds ?

Never broke anything like that of my parents, but did reverse one of their cars into the other of their cars in the driveway backing in.....

Dad was none too pleased to say the least....
                            PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                            Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                            +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Why in bloody Hell don't LCD manufacturers build a shield right into the things? Just so they can sell more LCDs to replace the broken ones??

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X